1999 Chevrolet Blazer

Just finished all 9 pages, looks absolutely amazing! I've been into car audio heavily for about 8 months now, and I've gotta figure out how those radiators work. Good luck on the build, I bet that box is heavy as ****.

Just finished all 9 pages, looks absolutely amazing! I've been into car audio heavily for about 8 months now, and I've gotta figure out how those radiators work. Good luck on the build, I bet that box is heavy as ****.
Thanks bro! I posted a couple links way back in the build log I think about PR's, let me know if you don't find them, I can dig them up. But they're pretty simple, instead of tuning a port by making it longer (which changes the mass of the air inside the port, make a port longer to tune lower, more mass), you tune a PR by adding weight. More mass equals a lower tune. And the box isn't too bad, about 70lbs. unloaded. Birch is a wonderful wood //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif But I still got a guy coming tomorrow to help me get it downstairs, I don't want to nick dat finish!

Was outside literally the whole day. Got my wire ran, soldered a few remaining terminals, got the amp rack in, amps wired up temporarily. This is what under my hood looks like now:

B68D673E-0B33-4D92-9D76-8C1DBCBA7E13-4189-000002BFC5076853_zpscefe9416.jpg

Lololololololololololol, here's the inside of my amp rack:

C3B6AA24-6178-4308-8CFB-30DC762A87C4-4189-000002BFCD0F66A9_zpscdc2879b.jpg

That's only temporary. @PapaGeno21 is making me buss bars right now, should have them by next weekend, and everything will get cleaned up then.

But here's a quick, blurry pic of how it looks:

92878D11-1DB9-48E2-BBCA-EE7BF032B071-4189-000002BFD2688387_zpse9c2d774.jpg

Didn't get speakers or anything wired in yet, that will be tomorrow. Got a dude coming over to help me get the sub box downstairs too.

The voltage meter/ammeter lights up too. I didn't fry it KHA :)
Will just have to see if it's actually reading amperage once I get some music going. The voltage is accurate, measured with my DMM.

22A43F10-AB7C-4BC7-9A6A-9FFBF204EDA1-4189-000002BFD76394F4_zps982723c7.jpg

14.8V cold idle, fell to 14.6V warm idle. I'm good with that :)

She lives today. She breathes tomorrow.

So, ran into some issues. Leviathan took a dump :(
Good news is that @Vertex Audio is amazing, and gonna work with Zed and get the amp fixed with no costs to me. They are awesome, if you haven't checked them out, do it now.

Anyway, I found an old MTX 50Wx4 @ 4ohm amp, so my mids are very underpowered, but I have a front stage.

Here's a pic of the amp rack with the Zed still hooked up. I love it!

And the 5.0k wiring. It's so smexy!

Here's the temp amp in the battery box:

And a wider view of the clusterfuck of wiring. Can anyone see why I have engine whine????? Lmao!

And suddenly, I haz da bass!

Now, I don't know if it's just because I haven't had music in here for like a month, or if I just haven't been in loud vehicles, or it's just because it's mine, or what it is, but this is the loudest vehicle I've been in. Here are some vids:

First Walkaround - YouTube

System - Day 1 - YouTube

Vids don't really show much, I did a decent job deadening I guess. It's much more impressive inside the vehicle.

Voltage is rock steady with only one additional G31. The ammeter does work! But I think for some reason the scale is way off, seems as though a reading of 010 means one hundred. Not sure, I'll watch it more, but I don't think I seen a reading of over like 025, so that makes sense based on where my gains are and the size of the amp.

Right now, the PR's have no additional weight. Haven't found the tuning right now, haven't done any testing like that yet. Gain was also set by hand, so it's not tuned at all. This was day 1, it's only getting better from here :)

I'm not worrying about my front stage right now until the Zed gets back.

that looks awesome man, what were you external dimensions on your box? how far are ya off the hatch?

***** about your leviathan. i had problems twice outta mine, once my fault the other not. and Mr. Mantz took care of me very well. he is a very intelligent man for sure.

that looks awesome man, what were you external dimensions on your box? how far are ya off the hatch?
***** about your leviathan. i had problems twice outta mine, once my fault the other not. and Mr. Mantz took care of me very well. he is a very intelligent man for sure.
Box is 19" high and 37.5" wide. Fits so perfectly between the wheel wells. Ya know, I didn't measure how far off I am, but it should be 5-6".

What were the problems on yours? Vertex is taking care of me, they're going to talk to him tomorrow and then get me in touch with him.

Watched the video! I looked up the PR's and how they work and it makes sense, having no port walls to take up mass, do the 18's add to the surface area of your setup or since they are unpowered they don't really add? They are still pushing air obviously seeing your setup. But it definitely looks SIICKKK. Love the green fleks.

Watched the video! I looked up the PR's and how they work and it makes sense, having no port walls to take up mass, do the 18's add to the surface area of your setup or since they are unpowered they don't really add? They are still pushing air obviously seeing your setup. But it definitely looks SIICKKK. Love the green fleks.
The PR's function the same as a port, so they add as much as a port would. It's not the same as adding more powered woofers to a ported enclosure, if that's what you're talking about when you say adding surface area. But thanks!

Really nice build man. Clean work.

Side note, my Leviathan took a dump on me too. No idea why either. Wasn't playing hard, no bumps in the road, just fizzled out... I gotta get a shipping box for it and get it fixed.

Box is 19" high and 37.5" wide. Fits so perfectly between the wheel wells. Ya know, I didn't measure how far off I am, but it should be 5-6".
What were the problems on yours? Vertex is taking care of me, they're going to talk to him tomorrow and then get me in touch with him.
I had a version 1 I believe. First time it got wet due to a leaking bed cover. Second time it was either very high noise floor or alt whine. He fixed it and I got him to upgrade the power. Did 180x6@8 ohms lol

Really nice build man. Clean work.
Side note, my Leviathan took a dump on me too. No idea why either. Wasn't playing hard, no bumps in the road, just fizzled out... I gotta get a shipping box for it and get it fixed.
Thanks.

You hear a lot of problems with these amps. It's unfortunate.

I had a version 1 I believe. First time it got wet due to a leaking bed cover. Second time it was either very high noise floor or alt whine. He fixed it and I got him to upgrade the power. Did 180x6@8 ohms lol
Yeah the v1's had some problems. And that's a crazy amount of power o.0

I want that! How much did that cost?

So, tuned at 35Hz as of now. That's with no additional weight on the PR's. Want to listen to it a bit, get a baseline established in my head, that way when I change things and add weight I have something to compare to. Here's a quick video on finding tuning without math:

How to Find Passive Radiator Tuning - YouTube

So, drove around for about an hour and a half. These are starting to break in. Truck sealed, passenger door open, sitting in drivers seat today was the first time that it messed with my nose and breathing through my nose. My rear glass now squeaks when driving around with no music just from road bumps lol. I'm gonna have no car left in like a month //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Can't wait until my Levi gets back so I can start playing with and tuning the front stage, and see what I can do for SQ. Love the PAC LC-1, I'll be able to get these subs to blend pretty decent.

Got a couple listening notes pertaining to my substage (which is crossed at 63Hz):

- Tuning is higher than I like it. I can hear I'm missing some notes below about 30 or so.

- Output falls fast. Tuning is 35, output falls but is audible until about 30, and depending on volume, is basically gone by about 28.

My plan is to tune down in 2Hz steps, down to about 22Hz. I'll play each tuning frequency for atleast five hours of listening time in order to make a decent determination of what my impressions are.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.