1996 Ford Windstar, FU Audio & Sundown

You mentioned you made too many mistakes during the build? I have the same van, i know about the back panels.. I did what you did, jammed blocks of wood throughout and screwed the panel on..not bad.
Would really like to know what these mistakes are so i can plan ahead..thanks!

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
Deadening the van is the hardest part. The sides are pretty sturdy and even the doors are quiet but the roof and rear hatch are a *****. I think I mentioned it somewhere but the roof is split up into sections by those supporting cross bars. To brace the roof, you want to cut some strips of ply and space them out a bit and orient them so they are pointing to the front/back of the vehicle and attach them with some PL 375 or something strong. You can just press them against the roof really well and they will stay on their own to dry. Give the strips a couple days to fully cure, then cut out a 3/4" panel to fit over them and just screw right into the strips (make sure to use some 1 1/4" screws so you don't go through your roof). This works ridiculously well, and it will work even better the more strips you secure to the roof because that's more points where it will get braced. If you go this route, deadener isn't even necessary because it stiffens up the roof so much.

I did that thing with the hatch where I put in some blocks and secured it but I don't think it helped; they got ripped apart pretty quickly. Maybe you did it differently. I think the best way to do it honestly would just be to protect the locking mechanism and then spray foam the whole thing with like 5 cans lol. It's too much of a PITA to try and brace that frame

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.