1996 Ford Windstar, FU Audio & Sundown

Kangaroux
5,000+ posts

I put on
Maine
Basically, this build is about me throwing a couple 18's and 3kw in a minivan and seeing what happens. The vehicle is my daily driver, so pretty much we're just going for loud and low on music. For numbers, I would be happy with a 148.

Equipment

Subs: (2) FU Audio 750-18's

Sub amp: Sundown SAZ-3000D

HU: Alpine CDE-143BT

Highs: AQ 6.5 comps

Highs amp: DD a2

Electrical: XS xp3k battery, Knukonceptz all around

OzcYZBB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be looking forward to this. I'm doing an '02 now, but I need the space for passengers and/or cargo, so I'm only taking up the center console plus the door speakers. This is the kind of build I'd want to try if I didn't need the space.

The vehicle

1996 Ford Windstar

HCm803V.jpg

L34a0PM.jpg

The subs

I gotta say, these were packaged really well. Double boxed and a very generous amount of custom fit styrofoam. No peanuts here.

bavWgRw.jpg

qv43Wmf.jpg

4SwJ1EI.jpg

wjg8R7B.jpg

Sub closeups

Overall, not bad for a 750w sub. The basket is steel though it's thin, but I don't think that will be a problem. 8g terminals and large cooling vents is a plus. However, I would really like to see sewn leads, but again this is their lowest "entry level" model. For $200 shipped each, hand build in the USA, I can't really complain.

lvSmt6E.jpg

QDNnsVw.jpg

iShmTQU.jpg

Gizer3M.jpg

RZSoyiy.jpg

Power wire is being shipped, waiting for knukonceptz to restock some of their terminals for the speaker wire, though. Gonna get the wood later this week and start putting it all together. It will be another week or two before I can order the XP3000 from XS, but I should have it playing by the end of this week if everything goes well.

In the meantime... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

RmLFLo5.jpg

Final box design. Flush mount, couple 45's, nothing too crazy. 11.6 cubes @ 32hz. 160 in^2 of port.

I wasn't sure how to do the vertical bracing so that it would be centered. I considered making a cross brace using 2 2x4's and a lap joint but I wasn't a fan of how that split the box up. Ultimately I decided to just run some threaded rod directly through the 2x4. In other words, even my bracing has bracing.

8aE07SZ.png

lklvnO1.jpg

Got the wood and hardware for the box today. Power wire also came in. Only thing I'm waiting on at this point is for knu to restock their 8g ring terminals that I'll be using for the speaker wire before I can have this playing. I won't be ordering the XS until at least next week.

AQ comps arrived today. Shoutout to @big scott for being awesome about shipping these even with shitty weather.

lMC8k7P.jpg

The box build begins tonight. I'll start getting some pics up as it comes together.

[quote name='Kangaroux']AQ comps arrived today. Shoutout to @big scott for being awesome about shipping these even with shitty weather.

lMC8k7P.jpg

The box build begins tonight. I'll start getting some pics up as it comes together.[/QUOTE]

Hope you do a thorough review on these and looking forward to it.

great, im glad you like and you got them.

i liked them, i hope you do also.

cant wait to see them installed......

thanks buddy for the + feedback, your a great guy also.

Hope you do a thorough review on these and looking forward to it.
You and me both. I've never had a decent setup for my highs. At the moment I don't have any plans to help seal up the doors, but if I don't mess with **** too much I don't think it will be a problem.

Cool! I have a 98 I just put two 15s in. A cargo Windstar. ..wood on top...foam..
Yeah, bracing the roof on this thing is going to be interesting. I haven't even begun to tackle that yet. I'm sure once I get the subs in and the amp at full power I'll be rushing to home depot to get some wood, PL and foam. But bracing the roof with wood means I have to be in the big boy class at comps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

great, im glad you like and you got them.i liked them, i hope you do also.

cant wait to see them installed......

thanks buddy for the + feedback, your a great guy also.
Not a problem. I'm sure these will do great.

Some of the hardware

Wb4PIyX.jpg

This build brought to you by Milwaukee

A4opUDB.jpg

The 45's are missing from this pic but they'll be added. I was just too lazy to cut them tonight.

wyoqRQ2.jpg

Picked up this forstener set on sale for $80 a couple years back. Absolute steal

xaJCfFt.jpg

In the background you'll see I added some extensions to the legs of the sawhorse so the height matches my tablesaw. Helps tremendously when cutting large sheets on the tablesaw, though after some trial and error I found that the best way to deal with large, bulky pieces is to rough cut to within 1/4" using the circular saw, then setup a straight edge and finish it off with a flush trim bit on the router. A little more time consuming than just running it through the tablesaw, but you're guaranteed a clean edge. No need to try and balance shit on the tablesaw and get a rough cut or burn marks.

saosevo.jpg

sInosHg.jpg

3Dtj7fD.jpg

More pics tomorrow...

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.