1500 watts at 4 ohms?

Right now I'm running 4 boston g3's at 1 ohm and the amp keeps overheating Ive tried two amps, a rockford fasgate prime and a ppi and they both over heat. I want to run my subs in series which would put them at 4 ohms but I cant find a amp powerful enough. Does anyone know a mono block that will put out 1200 to 1500 watts at 4 ohms. Thanks.

That Rockford and i assume the PPI are 1ohm stable amps.

Wiring to 4ohms is not going to help.

No need to spend money on a problem that's not necessary.

Primary reason for overheating amplifiers is bad ground.

Other reason is poor install location.

Unless both amplifiers have manufacturing flaws, unlikely, i wouldnt buy replacements.

You could do what I'm doing.... I just bought a us amps ax2000 from a member on here that I'll be requiring 1200rms @ 4ohms from it. I have a feeling I'll have the gain all they way down and still have to turn down the gain on my dsp, but this way I know for sure I'll be able to coax 10 hz out of the subs and be able to tune them flat all the way up 100hz. I just killed one massive audio n3 with a 15hz burp. It was wired up at 1 ohm with the gain turned up uncomfortably high but the subs acted like they could take much much more never reaching any excursion limits. I was about to go through a tone sweep and run an equalizer wizard and the first note, 15hz, played for a fraction of a second and the amp went into protect and never recovered. All was on good electrical, 180 amp alternator, 2 batteries and 0 guage less that a foot and a half away from a battery with soldered connections. It's easy to get betters subs if you have plenty of power on reserve, but if you ever want to upgrade without headroom, replacing subs and an amp gets expensive. There's one left on here, and someone's already asking about its model number. Take a peek at the specs. Doesn't get much better than this....

US Amps AX200

600W/Ch @ 4 ohms

1000W/Ch @ 2 ohms

2000W x 1 @ 4 ohms Bridged

S/N >95 dB

Damping Factor >1000

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That Rockford and i assume the PPI are 1ohm stable amps.
Wiring to 4ohms is not going to help.

No need to spend money on a problem that's not necessary.

Primary reason for overheating amplifiers is bad ground.

Other reason is poor install location.

Unless both amplifiers have manufacturing flaws, unlikely, i wouldnt buy replacements.

This I didn't know about. There's someone on this forum that I recommended an amp and he says it gets pretty warm/hot. It's the NX5 5 ch amp by Massive Audio. Yet I had that same amp, never got hot on me. Is this coincidental or what?!

I have also read no matter the beefed up electrical and plenty of air circulation, some amps naturally get hot.

It depends. Yes, a bad ground can be the culprit of a hot amp, but there are other factors at play too. What pre amp voltage are they feeding it? There's a wide range available from 2 to 8 volts. I know they go higher but those are typical. At what ohm? 1 will cause the amp to heat faster than 4. There are alot more variables than a poor ground to consider. How big is the ground wire from the battery to the chassis? If it's 4 gauge factory wire, considering you don't have a second battery, and you have a 0 guage amp ground, you're not doing much better. All this is just another reason I like a second dedicated battery that's up to the task.

However, while doing more reading on the nx5, there seem to be quite a few mixed reviews. Some say they are the best thing since sliced bread, other claim they are on their 2nd nx5 going into protect with it getting far too hot and are done with the company's products. I got literally 30 minutes of play out of my n3 with my gain uncomfortably high. I needed 1200rms but i feel that amp may have been giving me a good 900 of the 1400 promised. Sorry for a particular number, I didn't clamp it, it's just an assumption. One positive though, even after 30 minutes of being pushed pretty hard, the amp was barely warm.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.