15" brahma is making weird sounds

tropicaltornado
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Last weekend I was pounding my sub. it has a JBL 1200.1 wired to it @ 1ohm. Well, i smelt a weird smeel and saw smoke cooming from the port.So I immediatly unhooked the amp and checked the sub.The wires that was connected to the sub were kinda melted.The sub looked fine.So i replaced the speaker wire and screwed the sub back in. The sub works but at higher volumes it makes like a rattly type sound.What happened. The sub looks perfect could something be wrong in the motor, or is my sub like 1/2 blown?

normally when you can smell funny smells, and see smoke, youve fried your voice coil. Take out your sub and measure the resistance in each voice coil.

normally when you can smell funny noises, and see smoke, youve fried your voice coil. Take out your sub and measure the resistance in each voice coil.

^^ haha //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Most likely fuct, as denim said, look for a replacement for temp use.

The more I think about it, the less I am impressed with the Bhrama's ported power handling... mine used to smell a little bit with only 500~ watts and the person who bought it from me blew it on 600.

Bhrama = sealed unless with like 400 watts... Or something.

Ya, get a temp for d@mn sure. I have placed my order with Adire, and from 3 weeks ago the keep saying we are getting order together now, IT STILL HAS NOT LEFT WAREHOUSE!! Im getting so friggin pissed at them. Customer service sux.

Ya, get a temp for d@mn sure. I have placed my order with Adire, and from 3 weeks ago the keep saying we are getting order together now, IT STILL HAS NOT LEFT WAREHOUSE!! Im getting so friggin pissed at them. Customer service sux.
It may have somehing to do with the intense demand... THe probably havent even made it yet i'd guess.

Bhramas, despite the wait, are WORTH IT.

I'd get another, easily.

I'm not 100% convinced the problem is with the sub. Normally when there is a mechanical problem, you would hear the noise at all volume levels. I am a bit worried because of the melted wire. However that could have been the cause of the smoke. The noise you heard could also have been your amplifier clipping. I saw a LOT of burnt up Brahma's because of that amplifier and improper gain settings. If you have a 4 volt head unit, the gain on that amplifier should be turned almost all the way down as turning it up any will clip the signal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.