13w6v2 --> 1.6ft^3 enough? (plus some pics)

adrian1281
10+ year member

hey guys, this just came in the mail....

wNjk4NTA3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNjk4NTA4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNjk4NTA5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNjk4NTEwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNjk4NTE3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNjk4NTE2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

well i wanted to know if the 1.6 is gonna be the best size for a sealed box? does anybody have any experience with this sub? the amp is will be a memphis 16-MC500D (500 watts @ 2 ohms). i can't wait to get the sub going but i won't be able to build the box till after the holiday season. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

p.s. i read somewhere that you need to "break in" subs. is this true? if so, how would i go about doing that?

p.s. i read somewhere that you need to "break in" subs. is this true? if so, how would i go about doing that?
No. Don't bother. The sub will "break in" over time with regular use. Do a search, it's been asked 10,000 times.

port the **** thing. itl wang. that is- if you want her louder //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

hey man let me know how the combo sounds. I have a jl 500/1 amp right now but im thinkin of selling it in the future to get the memphis mc500d amp just because its smaller and the quality of the memphis amps looks great(and cheaper). I have my 500/1 with a 13kv2....thinkin about upgrading to a 13w6v2 if i can find a good price for it. As far as the size of the box...you can easily find it on their manual or website or somethin...depends if you want it seald or ported. goodluck

* i went to the site and heres what i found..

Sealed Enclosure Range: 1.0-2.0 cu.ft. (28.3-56.6 liters)

Ported Enclosure Range: 1.5-2.5 cu.ft. (42.5-70.8 liters)

If you want it sealed and sq is more important than you should probably be on the smaller end of the range. I would go with a 1.2 cu. ft before displacement. If you make the box bigger it might make it a lil louder but the bass wont sound as tite. trust me man it makes a difference...I had my 13kv2 in a 1.5 cu.ft box and put the sub in and it got pretty loud but i didnt like the sq...I think put a couple of blocks of wood in and i definately noticed a difference. the bass was more "tight" but it wasnt as loud (something that wasnt really important because it was loud enough). Next week im gonna take out my sub and put some more wood or expanding foam or somethin to make the inside a lil smaller. Hopefully it will make my sq better again.

hey man let me know how the combo sounds. I have a jl 500/1 amp right now but im thinkin of selling it in the future to get the memphis mc500d amp just because its smaller and the quality of the memphis amps looks great(and cheaper). I have my 500/1 with a 13kv2....thinkin about upgrading to a 13w6v2 if i can find a good price for it. As far as the size of the box...you can easily find it on their manual or website or somethin...depends if you want it seald or ported. goodluck
* i went to the site and heres what i found..

Sealed Enclosure Range: 1.0-2.0 cu.ft. (28.3-56.6 liters)

Ported Enclosure Range: 1.5-2.5 cu.ft. (42.5-70.8 liters)

If you want it sealed and sq is more important than you should probably be on the smaller end of the range. I would go with a 1.2 cu. ft before displacement. If you make the box bigger it might make it a lil louder but the bass wont sound as tite. trust me man it makes a difference...I had my 13kv2 in a 1.5 cu.ft box and put the sub in and it got pretty loud but i didnt like the sq...I think put a couple of blocks of wood in and i definately noticed a difference. the bass was more "tight" but it wasnt as loud (something that wasnt really important because it was loud enough). Next week im gonna take out my sub and put some more wood or expanding foam or somethin to make the inside a lil smaller. Hopefully it will make my sq better again.
thanks for the advice. i plan on building the box to 1.625 since that is what jl says is recommended:

wNjk4NTA2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

you can't see it well, but the last line is for a 13w6v2. after reading your advice, ill make the box to that size, and then add foam and see if i like the results.

p.s. i highly recommend memphis amps, i have had nothing but good results with them and so have many other people i've talked to. one negative thing, the fuse for it is on the bottom. i'll post results of the setup in about 2 weeks. thanks again.

wNzM1NTY0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNzM1NTY1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

i'd have to say it is a VERY clean sounding sub. i'm very impressed with sq but also it's spl capabilities. i've been taking it easy with it because i want to break it in somewhat. but it does make my ears hurt when i turn it up, which is more than i need... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

**** that is a sexy freakin woofer. I know there are alot of JL haters, but **** they make some good products. A little pricey but very reliable and durable. I still have 3 12w3 v1s and they are picture perfect and sounding excellant still. Too bad they are just sitting in my room doing nothing.

the surround is sitting about an inch from the rear deck. i read in various sites that doing so with help with the sound. something about the waves not cancelling each other out. anyways, i plan on doing somethign to the corners of the box so it doesn't slide around possible contacting the sub and the rear deck. but to be honest, the box and sub together weigh so much i doubt it'll slide around right now.

for the record, the amps are a 16-mc3004 for mids and highs (75X4) and a 16-mc500d for the sub (500X1 @ 2ohms)

p.s. i'm using 12gauge wire from the amp to the box and inside the box as well. do you guys think this is big enough?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.