12'' Type R sounds horrible

dewbie
10+ year member

Im running a 12'' type R in a 1ft sealed box, with a MRP-M500, first off it's the 1222D so it's wired to 4 ohms...

It sounds pretty bad, it doesn't bump real hard at all and the sub seems to be really stressed out at semi-low volumes and bass levels... It almost sounds like it's going to blow if i don't turn the bass down sometimes, i'm thinking it's the box that is the problem but more knowledgable input would be great...

long story short, the sub seems to flex way too much and isn't real loud at all, sounds like it's going to blow.

New box suggestions would also be great... i was looking at the free box plans...

thank you guys for reading and for any input i do appreciate it!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

you're making it as if it sounds like its an Sony Xplode woofer.

I heard the 12" alpine type-r run off 300w in a 1 cu ft sealed and it sounds great with hip-hop and trance music. The output isn't the best (mainly due to low wattage). Check and make sure the amp settings are adjusted accordingly and that the box has no leaks

i ran mine in a sealed pre fab 1 cf box before for a few days off 1,000 watts, and it didn't get loud at all. You couldn't even feel it when the lows hit.

I hope that makes you feel better. CHANGE THE BOX!

They can sound great in sealed boxes and they can create a ton of SPL in ported boxes. Make sure you're sending the sub a clean signal. I get the impression that a ported box will better fit your style.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.