12" Xcon with 2500 watts... is this bs?

doubt it. most people will buy it because its on ebay and says 250 amps. but the normal audio noob wont know the difference or try and get the alt tested to do rated.

now you can get a rewound alt for about 250 around 200+ amps by a reputable place. but i doubt that its a ho alt. is there even a name brand on it?

doubt it. most people will buy it because its on ebay and says 250 amps. but the normal audio noob wont know the difference or try and get the alt tested to do rated.
now you can get a rewound alt for about 250 around 200+ amps by a reputable place. but i doubt that its a ho alt. is there even a name brand on it?
It says the brand name is "HI-TECH ". Their also sold on amazon. Sounds too good to be true. I ran a DLS A3 and A6 back in the day on a stock 2003 S10 alternator with no issues. Not sure the amperage on that alternator and the amps were class a/b.

Where can you get an alternator rewound?

It says the brand name is "HI-TECH ". Their also sold on amazon. Sounds too good to be true. I ran a DLS A3 and A6 back in the day on a stock 2003 S10 alternator with no issues. Not sure the amperage on that alternator and the amps were class a/b.
Where can you get an alternator rewound?
Its junk. Most ebay and amazon so called high output alts are worse than stock alts. Yes your stock alts will put out more power than that garbage they deceivingly market with bloated numbers.

Its junk. Most ebay and amazon so called high output alts are worse than stock alts. Yes your stock alts will put out more power than that garbage they deceivingly market with bloated numbers.
This is true (most are rewound/recoiled).
You don't want a recoiled/rewound alternator (output is less than the stock alternator for idle and the failure right is insanely high).

Spend and extra 200 bucks and get a real aftermarket alternator (A real aftermarket alternator will output more amps at idle then a rewound will while driving, all while running cooler and at a higher voltage).

Cheap electrical is what separates the posers from the real enthusiast

How bout no ho alternator and just do a big 3, 0 gauge wire and a yellow top under the hood? I looked at installing an alternator for 02 maxima. A lot of work ... real tight lol.

This is true (most are rewound/recoiled).
You don't want a recoiled/rewound alternator (output is less than the stock alternator for idle and the failure right is insanely high).

Spend and extra 200 bucks and get a real aftermarket alternator (A real aftermarket alternator will output more amps at idle then a rewound will while driving, all while running cooler and at a higher voltage).

Cheap electrical is what separates the posers from the real enthusiast
im not trying to be a **** but you understand how rewound alternators are rewound for higher output? the big 260-300 amps alternators are just a larger case with stronger magnets and thicker(lower gauge) wire and higher current capability diodes. when someone professionally rewounds a alt they do it with respect to the case size.. the coils and diodes are upgraded as well as the regulator. every case has its limit no doubt but its not like it isnt possible. and the markup on those alternators are ridiculous..

i had a stock 120 amp rewound to a 170.s and it lasted till i sold the car about 3 years and it works fine when i sold the car.. im not gonna say you can double the current capabilities but i assure you someone who knows how to rewind them can get substantially more safely for cheap..

im not trying to be a **** but you understand how rewound alternators are rewound for higher output? the big 260-300 amps alternators are just a larger case with stronger magnets and thicker(lower gauge) wire and higher current capability diodes. when someone professionally rewounds a alt they do it with respect to the case size.. the coils and diodes are upgraded as well as the regulator. every case has its limit no doubt but its not like it isnt possible. and the markup on those alternators are ridiculous..
i had a stock 120 amp rewound to a 170.s and it lasted till i sold the car about 3 years and it works fine when i sold the car.. im not gonna say you can double the current capabilities but i assure you someone who knows how to rewind them can get substantially more safely for cheap..
Terminology/understanding might be off but the main point is still the same (spend extra and get something that will actually do rated power instead of some sketchy ebay alt or paying some local guy who "might" know what he's doing)

How bout no ho alternator and just do a big 3, 0 gauge wire and a yellow top under the hood? I looked at installing an alternator for 02 maxima. A lot of work ... real tight lol.
Under the hood I would get something a little higher quality (XS, Northstar, Deca).
Stock alt with battery/big three a SSA ICON on 1500 watts would be good

For 2500 watts I would not recommend using a stock alternator. Shoot me a PM if you'd like a quote on a mechman alternator and/or a NorthStar virgin lead battery for under the hood //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Terminology/understanding might be off but the main point is still the same (spend extra and get something that will actually do rated power instead of some sketchy ebay alt or paying some local guy who "might" know what he's doing)
while i tend to beable to get if someone is full of **** by talking to m i agree with ya..

DB Electrical - CHEVY 220 AMP HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR ONE WIRE 1965-1985 7802-11SE

its not top notch but its a sold alternator for a good price.. id expect 180-200 amps out of this case..

220 amps at 1200 engine RPMs sounds way too good to be true especially without an overdrive pulley. Not even a comparable sized hairpin will do that and they are more efficient than an S-wound alternator.

When you buy cheap rewound alternators, you get fire hazards like Tenney alts that need to be revved up to 4k for max output, which is still below what it's rated.

So are we talking about an alt for your car and/or an xcon sub that you think doesn't take 2500 rms or what??

Title was misleading then I clicked on it and we're talkin about alt's, wtf??

If your in doubt with the sub @denim would be the person to really ask.

I would go with a high quality alt such as Excessive Amperage which are a little cheaper than it's competitors.

Lastly, no one says you have to feed a full 2500 rms watts to that sub. However, it's been known that people will put 2x the power on subs. It's up to you how much power you wanna feed it. But I wouldn't underpower a sub either if you can avoid it.

Another thing to keep in mind/consider is having your current alt rebuilt/rewound to have more amperage with the use of a rebuild kit if your on a budget, or just plain don't wanna fork over 500-600 bucks for an alt.

More like Northstar under the hood (biggest you can fit) and a group 31 batt in the back. Big 3 and 0 gauge is a given. You'll need a battery trickle charger to keep the batts topped off every month. That is if you dont want to do the alt. There's no escaping upgrading electricals.

modern day optimas are overpriced for the weak performance you get from them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.