10w6v2 x 3 GT Eclipse

I foil and tape edges of foil around. Put a few trashbags underneath, works the best to make sure no leaks happen and get f-glass on ur carpet/ metal etc

you can see kind of what i did when I started to fiberglass my mids in the kickpanels in my build log.

which reminds me, I need to put finished pics up sometime soon

OK! little progress today, but stopped when it started getting too dark, only had like 45 minutes today eh, I have time anyway.

So first I removes the carpets

87750855.jpg

Then The factory sub.

93491755.jpg

Now its time for masking. I'm using this green paper as a base layer just to be safe

29916115.jpg

More tape and paper...

35682171.jpg

More tape and paper...

18155129.jpg

And Woot! i'm off tomorrow!!

I pretty much finished papering today, I didn't take a picture yet cause my phone died. I'll post a picture of the finished paper layer before I start foiling.

img00201200912131658.jpg

I'm considering whether or not to make it go over the hump or just step it off in the back. Reguarless, i'm going to mold it to the hump that way i have a little wiggle room on airspace and I may be able to take up an inch or 2 less trunk space.

Funny you should mention that, I was originally going with fiberglass to maximize airspace, but in some later calculations, that mold design was going to push 4 or 5 cubes. I've never liked the sound of fiberglass enclosures compared to MDF, and I had more room than I thought, Not to mention the Fiberglass would've probably run me around 200-300. and a sheet of mdf is about 20 bucks, So i've scrapped the F-glass idea for a while at least, going with an MDF Box with less airspace. Already built it over the holiday, posting pics...

Thanks guys, yeah sry to entice you with the fiberglass, but like the guy above said, it would be 95% the same box, so it ended up being a little pointless to do the F-glass. I may Eventually do F-glass but the MDF works for now. Painting now. I think i'm going with a flat black, If it doesn't match the interior though, i may end up repainting

20091228160001.jpg

Here it is finished and installed, There is one tiny chip in the paint i'll have to fix.

Also the box was designed to accommodate a 1000/1 on the rack in the back, the one I have for it needs to be sent in to JL for repair.

So bassically i'm keeping the same 500 watt amp on it for now, and I have to bring the box about 3 inches forward to fit it in there. So when the Right amp is installed, the box will scoot back flush with the trunk interior walls.

The other option is to cut off the back brace, its fairly unnecessary with the current design of the box, and would give me a space for an amp 26x13x4 (way bigger than any amp I should put in there.

One item of concern, The box is about 2.5 cubes. It's a little too big. I'm wondering if I can put some braces in to cut a little airspace down.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.