10s vs 12s with the same watts

Justin000

Canada
Looking at buying two new subs for my truck, I have a sealed enclosure with 0.6cf per sub.

I can put 10s or 12s in this enclosure (Haven’t cut the holes yet). Each sub will be powered by a 700watt mono amp.

I’m looking at 2 different subs.

The Hertz MP 250 (10”)

600watts

0.60 cf enclosure recommended

MP 250 D4.3 - Hertz Mille PRO car audio subwoofers

And

The Hertz MP 300 (12”)

600watts

0.95 cf enclosure recommended

MP 300 D4.3 - Hertz Mille PRO car audio subwoofers

So obviously the 10s would see the recommended enclosure volume and the 12s would be in an enclosure that’s too small. But I’ve always had 12s, (currently the es300s, in a 1 cf enclosure) and I’m looking to get some more bass without distortion.

I’m wondering what difference I’m going to hear since they’re the same power rating. And the 12s would be in a box that’s too small. What would you recommend? I listen to mostly rock/metal and rap/hip hop.

TLDR;

(12” - 600watts - 0.95 cf recommended, in a 0.60 cf)

.VS.

(10” - 600watts - 0.60 cf recommended, in a 0.60 cf)

10s will work just fine and prob perform much better in the same sized enclosure.Same power it all depends on the enclosure and environment in the end. Tens will more than likely have a better enclosure environment and should be closer to specs and should perform much better.I run a buttload of tens, and can tell a difference in the in the performance of the same enclosure and environment and same power, Especially if the 12s were crunched and in a smaller enclosure than recommended and the tens closer to over all specs resulting in performing much better

I'd try to find every way possible to squeeze out more airspace because you need to remember that the subs take up airspace as well. Sealed box in a truck is a reciple for disappointment thats all i can say.

Ide go with the 12s. Invert them and throw some pollyfill in that *****
I assume you mean mount them facing into the box? I can’t do that, my enclosure is under my truck seats.

10s will work just fine and prob perform much better in the same sized enclosure.Same power it all depends on the enclosure and environment in the end. Tens will more than likely have a better enclosure environment and should be closer to specs and should perform much better.I run a buttload of tens, and can tell a difference in the in the performance of the same enclosure and environment and same power, Especially if the 12s were crunched and in a smaller enclosure than recommended and the tens closer to over all specs resulting in performing much better
That was my thought. Thanks!

I'd try to find every way possible to squeeze out more airspace because you need to remember that the subs take up airspace as well. Sealed box in a truck is a reciple for disappointment thats all i can say.
Well, I’m not using a ported box, but I might be able to increase the airspace to 1 cf. I could sacrifice my amp shelf and find room for one more amp on my back wall lol... would you go for the 12s at 1cf even with the displacement of the sub. Or the 10s at 1cf?

If you can get 1 cu ft after displacement I surely would do it and go 12's. Or port with 10's.

What truck?

I have ported 10's under my seats (1.15 cuft, different Ram Crew/Quad cabs) and I am extremely happy with them. I previously had them in a sealed enclosure (.65 cu ft per sub) and was really disappointed. Same wattage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you can get 1 cu ft after displacement I surely would do it and go 12's. Or port with 10's.
What truck?

I have ported 10's under my seats (1.15 cuft, different Ram Crew/Quad cabs) and I am extremely happy with them. I previously had them in a sealed enclosure (.65 cu ft per sub) and was really disappointed. Same wattage.

I don’t really want to port my subs. But I’ll try to get my 3rd amp on the back wall and use the amp shelf to get that 1 cf then get the 12s and stay sealed.

If not I’ll consider doing the 10s ported. Did you build the ported box yourself?

And it’s a 2011 Silverado crew cab.

I have one prefab from Fox Accoustics and one I glassed. They both sound the same.

Fox Accoustics makes a Silverado Crew Cab box with two tens, ported @ 1.1 cu ft tuned to 34hz I believe. Maybe use it for inspiration or buy it outright if you dig the specs/looks. I am looking at a new 2500HD and if I buy it then it will get the FoxBox.

I love ported 10’s but not so much 12’s but that is because I like nice tight clean and fast bass more for SQ. I have a 10” and 12’ Alpine SWS and the ten sounds superb but the 12 sounds really good in a sealed box; better than it does in a ported box built to Alpine specifications. Now a box makes or breaks the sound quality of a subwoofer so if I were you I would go with the 10’s in the right sized and tuned ported box or put the 12’s in a sealed box. If you care more about SPL than get a box that is the right size and go with the 12’s.

I have one prefab from Fox Accoustics and one I glassed. They both sound the same.
Fox Accoustics makes a Silverado Crew Cab box with two tens, ported @ 1.1 cu ft tuned to 34hz I believe. Maybe use it for inspiration or buy it outright if you dig the specs/looks. I am looking at a new 2500HD and if I buy it then it will get the FoxBox.

Excellent. Thank you for that site. If i get the 10s ill probably grab one of their boxes.

I love ported 10’s but not so much 12’s but that is because I like nice tight clean and fast bass more for SQ. I have a 10” and 12’ Alpine SWS and the ten sounds superb but the 12 sounds really good in a sealed box; better than it does in a ported box built to Alpine specifications. Now a box makes or breaks the sound quality of a subwoofer so if I were you I would go with the 10’s in the right sized and tuned ported box or put the 12’s in a sealed box. If you care more about SPL than get a box that is the right size and go with the 12’s.
I lean a little more towards SQ, but i also like to play my music very very very loud. Are the 10s SPL really that much lower than the 12s?

Excellent. Thank you for that site. If i get the 10s ill probably grab one of their boxes.

I lean a little more towards SQ, but i also like to play my music very very very loud. Are the 10s SPL really that much lower than the 12s?
Ported 10's, in general, will be louder than sealed 12's.

The ported 10 will dig a little deeper than the sealed 12 at lower volumes but for loudness they are about the same. I prefer the ported 10 over the sealed 12 with these Alpine SWS subs anyway. I put the ported 10 in the Sienna and now my wife won’t give it back so I’m testing the 12 ported right now and it’s definitely louder but a little more muddy compared to the 10.

Also I put the 12 sealed in the Sienna on 400 watts vs 500 in my CX5 and my wife didn’t like it as much. She said it wasn’t as loud either but remember 100 watts less too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.