10k Subwoofer, What Am I Getting Into?

Participant count
  • Participant list

kmacmcfarlane

I had the great fortune of finding a custom Digital Designs sub on craigslist for a great price. It has an additional motor attached to the back of a DD diaphram. The surround and dust cap were upgraded as well. The previous owner was running 10k watts to this beast. I also have two JuiceBox banana AGM batteries (110AH each).

Sub:

AdGSG7f.jpg

Batteries:

Ow9iygj.jpg

I am curious for some advice about how to deal with such a powerful sub. I know it's not going to be a great SQ sub, but I am not trying to build a one-note wonder for competing with. I just want to see what it takes to install an extreme speaker like this.

Things I know I need to do:

• Big 3 with 0 AWG, all copper
  • Need to get another AWG battery for the engine compartment
  • 0 AWG from engine compartment back to trunk
  • Battery isolator between two batteries
  • Use bars to attach batteries together in the back
  • Use dual 0 AWG cables for the sub amp's positive and negative poles
  • Dynamat the entire inside of the car to control resonances
  • Strengthen the sub enclosure with cross-braces
  • The sub is so long, that when mounted horizontally, the back of the magnet will need to be held in place by some sort of mdf "craddle".
  • Remote sub control to leave the bass at musical levels most of the time
  • Run a 1 ohm amp to power it (4 total voice coils configured down to 1 ohm)
  • My windows can break running this sub

Things I am unsure of:

• Is there any reason not to run the Lanzar Opt110001D? (the price tag is very appealing)
  • Should the amp be grounded to the chasis AND the negative terminals on the batteries in back? (this makes more sense than only grounding to the chassis)
  • Do I need a third JuiceBox banana in order to run 10k to this speaker?
  • Will I need to build a double baffle enclosure for this sub?
  • What can I do to strengthen my windows without spending thousands on special windows for car audio?

What am I missing here? How can I get the most out of this speaker without exploding my car (literally)?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.