10" midbass in a custom three way

let's see i have this system in a 2006 tahoe and it will tear your head off. i couldn't run my neo comp horns soooo i was looking for a large dome tweet that could play up to 4hz with super high sensitivity. the beyma bullets are about as close as your gonna get to a compresion driver. the sound not as smaooth but kills on spl.... nothing a good eq want tone down. the beyma mi10 sounds very similar to a clestian.... warm midbass... kick-drum to crack your chest plate in half.... nothing like a large driver glassed in the door. i went this route because i was tired of drivers not being able to take abuse... voice coils burning up. you cross those mi10's at 100hz, sub stage to 80 and it will blow you away. sounds like your bringing the sub stage to the front. if your in to hard metal like me... loud and clean... hard to beat a pro audio driver. don't tell me you don't respect the jbl 2118's....
And you proved his point for him. Bullet tweets sound like crap, you basically even admitted such. If you need an EQ to make them listenable, that should tell you right there that they are not a hi-fi solution. The OP is looking for something that actually sounds good. Those do not. Loud and good are not the same thing.

If you actually knew WTF you were doing, you'd find a real midbass that you could cross lower than 100hz. As it is you are running those big drivers as midranges, not midbasses and thus wasting the effort used to squeeze a 10" driver into the door.

And you proved his point for him. Bullet tweets sound like crap, you basically even admitted such. If you need an EQ to make them listenable, that should tell you right there that they are not a hi-fi solution. The OP is looking for something that actually sounds good. Those do not. Loud and good are not the same thing.
If you actually knew WTF you were doing, you'd find a real midbass that you could cross lower than 100hz. As it is you are running those big drivers as midranges, not midbasses and thus wasting the effort used to squeeze a 10" driver into the door.

hmmm... i beg to differ. those beyma bullets sound awesome. they just take a little tweaking. hell, my cd2 neo comp horns took a crap load of tweaking and breaking in. took a lot more time to get he sound right than the bullets. i will say the cd2's sound a "little" bit better... but not much.

also, the beyma mi10's can be crossed over at 70hz...

I'm going with the Peerless SLS 10"s myself. I just heard some XXLS 10"s in doors, and they were sweet.

Only thing about the Peerless is that they're 8ohms. Time to look for a nice 4 channel amp to bridge...

cd2 neos

idq8s

sls 10s.

should be nice.

I'm going with the Peerless SLS 10"s myself. I just heard some XXLS 10"s in doors, and they were sweet.
Only thing about the Peerless is that they're 8ohms. Time to look for a nice 4 channel amp to bridge...

cd2 neos

idq8s

sls 10s.

should be nice.

hmmm... i used to own some idq8's.... their was some on ebay

hmmm... i beg to differ. those beyma bullets sound awesome. they just take a little tweaking. hell, my cd2 neo comp horns took a crap load of tweaking and breaking in. took a lot more time to get he sound right than the bullets. i will say the cd2's sound a "little" bit better... but not much.
also, the beyma mi10's can be crossed over at 70hz...
No, they certainly don't sound anything other than loud. You're entitled to your opinion, but there's a reason that no one who actually cares about an accurate system or really anyone who cares about anything other than being obnoxiously loud, uses anything made by Beyma. They simply are not high fidelity drivers. They're efficient, that's it. If you judge quality solely on quantity of output, they'll do but doesn't qualify them as quality drivers for people more concerned with accuracy and tonality and less with ear-bleeding output.

And 70hz is still too high. Definitely too high to consider for a good midbass presence as a dedicated midbass in a 3-way front stage. Midrange output is totally secondary in that application, you'll have a dedicated midrange for that. If you're going to the trouble of putting 10s in the doors, get the full benefit of the cone area and the benefit that it can give you in getting good output in the lower freqs. I have 6.5s that I run without a high-pass filter and don't have a problem with playing down into the low 30s. I can turn the sub off and the difference in with rock music isn't that pronounced. If can't do that with a 10" driver, you've wasted you time installing them.

No, they certainly don't sound anything other than loud. You're entitled to your opinion, but there's a reason that no one who actually cares about an accurate system or really anyone who cares about anything other than being obnoxiously loud, uses anything made by Beyma. They simply are not high fidelity drivers. They're efficient, that's it. If you judge quality solely on quantity of output, they'll do but doesn't qualify them as quality drivers for people more concerned with accuracy and tonality and less with ear-bleeding output.
And 70hz is still too high. Definitely too high to consider for a good midbass presence as a dedicated midbass in a 3-way front stage. Midrange output is totally secondary in that application, you'll have a dedicated midrange for that. If you're going to the trouble of putting 10s in the doors, get the full benefit of the cone area and the benefit that it can give you in getting good output in the lower freqs. I have 6.5s that I run without a high-pass filter and don't have a problem with playing down into the low 30s. I can turn the sub off and the difference in with rock music isn't that pronounced. If can't do that with a 10" driver, you've wasted you time installing them.

i can't recall the exact term but what about pro audio drivers in a 2-way system paired up with horns. they only play down to 100hz and the midbass will make your brain leak down your spine.... i'm not an expert at this. i do know that my beyma drivers sound very nice and will crank like hell. some of the best sytems i ever heard used pro audio drivers...

The only reason to use pro audio drivers is for the sheer output. Once you accept that loud and accurate are not necessarily the same thing, you'll see what I'm getting out. And once you get out of central FL where systems are judged solely on output, you'll hear what a good system sounds like.

What you're talking about is a sound reinforcement system. They almost always use big drivers on the bottom end (usually extended range woofers, not subs) and large midranges for increased efficiency. The woofers are what are doing the majority of the work in the midbass range, not the midranges. Play them without the woofers and they sound pretty hollow. You get the skin tone off the drums, but there's a full octave and a half in most music below 100hz.

The only reason to use pro audio drivers is for the sheer output. Once you accept that loud and accurate are not necessarily the same thing, you'll see what I'm getting out. And once you get out of central FL where systems are judged solely on output, you'll hear what a good system sounds like.
What you're talking about is a sound reinforcement system. They almost always use big drivers on the bottom end (usually extended range woofers, not subs) and large midranges for increased efficiency. The woofers are what are doing the majority of the work in the midbass range, not the midranges. Play them without the woofers and they sound pretty hollow. You get the skin tone off the drums, but there's a full octave and a half in most music below 100hz.

well, i've had some pretty high end SQ systems in the past... this system was for a little more spl. my last system was dual focal k2p 6.5's per door paired up with morel supremo's. i got tired of burning up drivers. pretty hard to burn up a pro audio driver

Ok now, I'm in Fla, Miami to be exact, but well I from Georgia. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Which out now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.