1 ohm Stable amps?

Participant count
  • Participant list

DinSeadly
10+ year member

Right now I am in the process of replacing my subs and this question came up as to weather maybe it caused my last subs burning out.

Can an amp truly be stable at 1ohm? Or is it just asking to clip the signal and burn the sub? (it was referred to me as "running on the red line")

I have a Kaption 700.1-D Class D Amp 700 RMS at 1ohm and 350RMS at 2ohm. I was running it at 1 ohm on my last subs (They were Clarion Pro Audio 375RMS DVC 4ohm) and completely fried one of them and am looking to replace them but I am not sure if I want to lose that much power going to 2 ohm if it is safe to run at 1 ohm. I really enjoyed the performance of the amp at 1 ohm, I like my bass alot lets just say.

It should be fine if your electric can keep up. If your voltage is dropping then the amp might not do rated. Sound like you are clipping to me. You need to make sure the your gains are set correctly.

yea if fried like that sounds like you are clipping. i also do not know how to really set a

amp. but im learning. i run 1 ohm daily( i wont go below)

and hard dimming to lights is a factor. i would probly invest in a volt meter. i have a meter @ the amp so ill know whats going into the amp. that will help you with monitoring it

I have a DMM and i dont find any lights dimming very much, only when its up close to max and only on really hard bass notes, and even then its not very noticeable. I also have a 2 Farahd cap hooked up.

hm? i mean tho its set with a dmm i was told that does not mean its not clipping, the oscope tells that. so you could still be clipping. or is the sub you had overrated?

Caps are junk, if you got light dimming you got voltage issues, and for 700 watts that seems unlikely. I think you have set your gains way too high and your clipping the hell out of your subs, probably how you fried them in the first place.

Take the RMS of your amp and multiply it by the ohms you will run it at. So say 700 watts @ 1 ohm would be 700 x 1 = 700. Now take the square root of that number. which should be about 26.45. Now set your DMM to AC volts, unplug your speakers from the amp, and connect the dmm to the positive and negative terminal of the amp. Turn your gains all the way down, bass boost all the way down, bass on your deck set to 0 or flat. Put in a 0 db 50 hz test tone and turn up the gain until the DMM reads 26.45, then turn it down just a hair.

Caps are junk, if you got light dimming you got voltage issues, and for 700 watts that seems unlikely. I think you have set your gains way too high and your clipping the hell out of your subs, probably how you fried them in the first place.
Take the RMS of your amp and multiply it by the ohms you will run it at. So say 700 watts @ 1 ohm would be 700 x 1 = 700. Now take the square root of that number. which should be about 26.45. Now set your DMM to AC volts, unplug your speakers from the amp, and connect the dmm to the positive and negative terminal of the amp. Turn your gains all the way down, bass boost all the way down, bass on your deck set to 0 or flat. Put in a 0 db 50 hz test tone and turn up the gain until the DMM reads 26.45, then turn it down just a hair.

i agree about the caps. but yea thats how to use the dmm. my amp output is 49 for my rms

shouldn you set it to DC?

Where do i get a 0 db 50 hz sound clip? And yea I was assuming clipping was the reason the sub burnt out so I was wondering if it had to do with my amp being at 1 ohm, it says its 1 ohm stable but would it be safer to run at 2 ohms? or is it just a problem with gains?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.