Cant get my JL amp to turn on

sc300jz
10+ year member

El Monte
Well after a long day of troubleshooting and figuring out why it wont turn on.

I used

DB Link PK4Z 4 Gauge Power Series amp kit.

JL 500/1v2

LOC

I have ran the power cable (4gauge) from battery to my trunk

Got a good ground ( sanded and placed a bolt also 4gauge also it was next to another factory ground)

Ran my remote wire to the IGN fuse with a fuse tap.

It should of turned on and everything I crimped everything good volt meter shows power to my 4gauge power cable. I couldn't really see if there were any volts from the remote wire.

I tried tapping into other fuses etc etc still nothing. I had my friend who does audio and he was stumped as well.

It seems like my amp is fried? When i bought it on craigslist I had the previous owner run the amp for me and it powered a sub no problem and the lights turned on. But for some reason I can't get it to turn on.

I also opened up the amp and it smelled fresh (out of the box smell) it didn't smell like smoke or toast. I was trying to locate the fuse but I couldn't find it does the 500 1v2 have fuses?

I had my friend take the amp and try to run it on his car to see if it is a dead amp.

(He tested it out on his working system and the JL still didn't turn on, i'm afraid it is a dead amp?)

Someone told me that I could try to jump the remote wire? By connecting a short wire from the 12VDC+ to the remote wire to test it if it is truly dead.

Just thought of something.. is it possible that I have the signal sensing ON and I am running it via remote wire thus why its not work? Or would it work either way if it was on or off?

Any ideas?

To test, What I would do, Check the ground make sure its good and a solid grounding point,Check the fuse on the amp/fuses, change them if you have extras, sometimes you cant tell if they are good or bad,Next take a small wire and place it with the positive post on the amp, and then place it on the remote of the amp, and it should light up, if not, try another ground location, or take the amp out, and take it to the car/vehicle battery, and leave the pos wire, and remote wire together, and have some to reach the possitive on the battery, and ground on the battery, if it doesnt light up, then more than likely you have an eternal issue with the amp.Repair, and or replace the amp.I use the car battery method, and seems to work just fine for me on several occasions, without the MM method.Easy to do, and take like 15min. If it works, more than likely, you have a bad ground, and you should be running the remote to the HU instead of in the fuse panel off of the key.You really need the soft turn on/off to work for you through the HU, and not a harsh/Slamm of shut down of power from the ign,as its bad for your speakers, and your amp.Try the Battery method,You can use 8ga for power wire, or ? Just checking to see if it even works is all.Let us know what happens

Either cuz its fried. Remote wire isnt working, but since it didnt work, im assuming fried. Blame jl..lol jp.
Lets hope not, it'll leave me with a bad impression since this is my first purchase of audio equipment.

To test, What I would do, Check the ground make sure its good and a solid grounding point,Check the fuse on the amp/fuses, change them if you have extras, sometimes you cant tell if they are good or bad,Next take a small wire and place it with the positive post on the amp, and then place it on the remote of the amp, and it should light up, if not, try another ground location, or take the amp out, and take it to the car/vehicle battery, and leave the pos wire, and remote wire together, and have some to reach the possitive on the battery, and ground on the battery, if it doesnt light up, then more than likely you have an eternal issue with the amp.Repair, and or replace the amp.I use the car battery method, and seems to work just fine for me on several occasions, without the MM method.Easy to do, and take like 15min. If it works, more than likely, you have a bad ground, and you should be running the remote to the HU instead of in the fuse panel off of the key.You really need the soft turn on/off to work for you through the HU, and not a harsh/Slamm of shut down of power from the ign,as its bad for your speakers, and your amp.Try the Battery method,You can use 8ga for power wire, or ? Just checking to see if it even works is all.Let us know what happens
I opened up the amp and I couldn't locate any of the fuses surprisingly it smelled fresh and I didnt see anything burnt or damaged.

I'll try the remote wire to the power wire jumper once i get it back from my friend.

I'm confused about the taking out the amp. So I should take out the amp and take the power cable + ground and hook it up to my battery?

Reason why I am tapping into the fuse box is because I am sticking with my original head unit. Since I have factory navigation. It is a lexus 01 gs430 with navi and ML

Do u have a dmm???
I borrowed my friends MM not exactly sure how to read it. But I tested the power wire and it was definitely pumping juice through it.

My friend told me that he tested that earlier yesterday and still no dice. I'll take a picture of the internals when I get it tomorrow and post it on here.

first thing dont listen to audiobann he gives bad advise, i didnt even bother reading his **** bc he gives that bad of advise its not worth my time. ive been drinking but if i read right you have your power cables right but you hooked your remote wire to some kind of fuses to your amp. take thoses off and make sure you are using the right remote wire off your deck. sometimes they are labeled kinda funny and you get them confused. get us pics of your install so we can help you more. take pics of the wires in the back of your deck too. seems like your amp isnt getting a signal to turn off it should at least turn on into protect mode or something if its getting no signal it wont turn on what so ever but thats just my experience

first thing dont listen to audiobann he gives bad advise, i didnt even bother reading his **** bc he gives that bad of advise its not worth my time. ive been drinking but if i read right you have your power cables right but you hooked your remote wire to some kind of fuses to your amp. take thoses off and make sure you are using the right remote wire off your deck. sometimes they are labeled kinda funny and you get them confused. get us pics of your install so we can help you more. take pics of the wires in the back of your deck too. seems like your amp isnt getting a signal to turn off it should at least turn on into protect mode or something if its getting no signal it wont turn on what so ever but thats just my experience
I'll take some pictures tomorrow when there is more daylight. Thanks guys hopefully it isn't fried because I would be pissed.

I have been checking amps like that for over 15years at the vehicle battery, and have never had any issues.
you **** donkey **** and you know it. op seems like a signal problem lets hope it is. were here to help ya, just hit us up with your pics and we will go from there.

You must be jelious not knowin jack S H I T as to the easiest way to test an amp that a 4 yr old could do. Simple 3 wires to power an amp up:laugh:

You must be jelious not knowin jack S H I T as to the easiest way to test an amp that a 4 yr old could do. Simple 3 wires to power an amp up:laugh:
no **** Shurlock errrr. yeah im jealous of audiobaun my amp is more than your whole system *****!

You spelt it wrong jack ***! Audiobaun i refer to is auto/speed/racing! Audiobahn is the car audio equiptment dumb a s s ..Have another beer.Your amp is more than my whole system??That pos Rockford Fosgate??One 12 inc sub??one set of 2way comp,and a pair of 6x9???Please man,go Fu urself with your moms used *****,I have 2 amps that cost 1k a piece.Doesnt matter how much you spend on an amp, it how you choose the right components for the system.I can gaurantee you are not getting anywhere near the 2500rms that pos Rockford suppossively puts out with that honda alternator, and not at 14v either..LOL!!Im at 14.4 allday everyday every note, with my little 7150 Autoteks(2)BTS-150watt amps on 4-1000 rms 10s.Momma buy bye your ****?? I earned mine,I choose whatever amp I want to run in my pile of Zed collection..Get a job!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

op if it is the remote wire try one little trick to see if it is indeed the problem.....run a piece of small wire from the positive terminal in the amp into remote input on the amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.