1/2” birch ply sufficient for box build?

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio

SlugButter

CarAudio.com Veteran
Nov 5, 2019
arizona
I’ve never heard a difference between any types of wood I’ve used for sub boxes. If it’s a solid build, it will sound fine. The issue with cheap wood comes when sanding and finishing the enclosure. Really easy to sand right through the the thin birch veneer when using Home Depot birch, for instance. Also, a particle board box may sound fine, but it’s super heavy and chips and breaks easy. If you’re carpeting your box, particle board and MDF would work fine, and save a few bucks. If you’re painting or staining, then the quality of wood makes a big difference in appearance, but you won’t hear a difference. If you were to build 2 identical boxes, 1 from particle board and the other with sanded pine and did a blind sound test, I would bet my savings that you wouldn’t be able to hear any difference between the 2.

Reactions: hispls

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
I don't have time to do all of this testing
Yet you have plenty of time to spout off all of your opinions with no real world data to back them up.
Looks like good quality plywood to me. Again though, I challenge someone to provide some data which shows real world performance gains from building two identical boxes with different brands of 3/4" plywood and reporting back on the measurable differences.

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
I want to stain my next box so I’m looking at birch or sanded pine. My issue with the HD sanded pine is last time I used it (5ply), it was delaminating in the middle and I had to force glue in and clamp it down until it dried which was tedious and just annoying.

Reactions: Bobbytwonames

2RZ-FE

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Mar 14, 2011
Dixon, Ca
My sanded pine was $59 a sheet. It has 7 layers total but has 3 different thicknesses with the outer layers being the thinest.
Cuts clean. The last wood I bought was horrible it splintered really bad near the cut not sure what kind it was.

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
My sanded pine was $59 a sheet. It has 7 layers total but has 3 different thicknesses with the outer layers being the thinest.
Cuts clean. The last wood I bought was horrible it splintered really bad near the cut not sure what kind it was.
You should try and get the 13 layer ¾" or 17 layer 1". We het the 17 layer Russian Baltic Birch for $75/sheet.

West1

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Feb 14, 2008
Los Angeles,Ca
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nothing wrong with Maple or Sanded Pine people have been making boxes out of those for a long time.
Thanks. I got it and cut it up. Should start building it this weekend or next.

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
My small town local stores have just a few options. Which would y’all choose?
3/4 Maple 5 ply
3/4 Red Oak 5 ply
3/4 Birch 5 ply
3/4 Sanded Pine 7 ply

Or should I order 13 ply Birch online?

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
My small town local stores have just a few options. Which would y’all choose?
3/4 Maple 5 ply
3/4 Red Oak 5 ply
3/4 Birch 5 ply
3/4 Sanded Pine 7 ply

Or should I order 13 ply Birch online?
Sorry, order the 13 ply Birch online. I didn't see that last choice.

shredder2

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
Nov 19, 2017
Az
Sorry, order the 13 ply Birch online. I didn't see that last choice.
I have to agree... buy that 1 ply Russian if you can afford it.
.6785" thick it is (NOT .75") and a real designer can account for that extra 1/16".
Some of my best designs utilized 11/16" Russian and et me say this... it's like solid. Brace it and forget it I say

Even 11/16" thick beat .75" of any breed, I hate these material arguments asking for data.... fuckit. Bracing counts too but given a choice I'd buy 13ply Russian everytime.
It 's worth the cost imo. My preferred/local builder insists on the best... so.... I hate designs now, .6875" material thickness?.. guaranteed to find a alien port area with a bit more volume.... I digress.
I suppose that's why you contact a pro.
I'm no pro myself... just USED to compete.
I wish I'd had a Neo to play with when I did shows... I had that power but ferrite efficiency only goes so far.

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
I use 3/4" melamine backed hdf cause I get it for free.

Reactions: shredder2

shredder2

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
Nov 19, 2017
Az
I use 3/4" melamine backed hdf cause I get it for free.
That's what dude uses for anything lighter weight or prefab, Idc either way.... I brace accordingly. Hdf can d the job if FACTORED in, II still swear by Russian Birch... .6875" thickness and all... anyways....

Amazing how sum 6.5" slam. Prefabs... Sure Wilbur

HDF boxes btw...

I'm NOT a small sub guy but will admit they can do the job. He did a dual Xfl-12 box that pushed 150db with that Hdf so it's solid, but materials always factor in the design.... Ima geek like that... sorry. Rise and all.... lol, We use 6" lag bolts /w/ resin and PL down here in Az to hold OUR boxes down (less rise). 👀 100% #Facts... we got a bridge for sale on the border too.
Given larger more capable subs for instance I insisted on a 2 ply triple baffled design for a single Zv5-15... on 5K... Sanded pine...

Or nailing it with a 2py , triple baffled Russian birch design... this thing was crazy I was told.

Materials go out the window once you go 4-15's wired down on 16v.. I heard this one did 156+ out the gate on 4K clamped or so

... but these guys are THOSE guys... crazy what testing can do isn't it?... I heard it was 158+ on 4K last report clamping the same... tuned 28hz this thing is peaking low... Hi voltage-low wired-dead cabin (or setup)... a pair of budget amps shouldn't put out THIS well.
Man... I do kinda miss the shows (and the people) until I remember driving 100-300mi to sit in 100+ degree heat, watch god knows who cut in line and if I won I'd walk away with a license plate for a trophy and be on "the list"... lol.
Az list?.. i think I made the Usaci 3K stock list somewhere along the way as well. Certified Spl ... fuk all these crazy numbers coming outta smaller shows, a regional or final where its not a collection of buddies metering you. Gee... I wonder why I just stopped competing?

I saw some shady stuff... but I digress.

I like that Hdf

Attachments

Last edited:

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Agreed! No way would I personally do that with a single baffle even with 1" birch like that with 8 15" subwoofers regardless of the brand. Has to be more to that design.

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
Agreed! No way would I personally do that with a single baffle even with 1" birch like that with 8 15" subwoofers regardless of the brand. Has to be more to that design.
Believe me, he braced it plenty. 17 layer 1" is strong AF. Just like these other two.

20210216_215450.jpg

That's a single ply enclosure? Just me but I hate the 2 subs off plane... its like trying to stuff subs in a smallish space requirement.
I seen this posted once or twice before... How about the install man?
There's NO way that's the end result
You can't see all of the bracing that was done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds