07 PT Cruiser, and flickering lights.

ptcruiser07
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
TX
from my research on pt cruisers and my problem, it seems to be a common and unfixable problem with the pt's.

the problem....all lights dash, clock, radio, head lights dome lights will flicker, with car running. u cant tell unless its dark out.

what I have done to find/fix the problem......new alt370 stinger, new front batt 800 kinetic, big 3 done except the + run to alt. theres no system in the car atm till I can figure this out. took out box amps 0g runs to back to make it easyer to find the prob.

had alt load tested today and it was dead on 170 idol 370 peak, I need to know the flickering lights wont affect my amps. the problem is not a big deal I don't mind but im worried it will affect my amps. cmon with the ideas I have heard em all and tried most of em????

My guess is the factory grounds are not up to par. I'd contemplate running a dedicated ground from the batt to the main horizontal brace in the dash or near where the main factory grounds are for the dash. i would double check voltage at the amps when the problem is happening just to make sure amps wont suffer and also at the dash. should be able to just pull the deck and verify voltage there. But I would be as concerned that the voltage drop at the dash components might kill something in the dash. factory stuff is just so bloody expensive.

the problem cant be detected with a alt load test or a clamp test at alt + wire so its just affecting the factory bs. would love to stop it but where is the flaw is the Q.... means my remote turn on would have the same flickering current I would think.. would that harm amps?

Would a capacitor work?
those are useless. get another battery maybe? I see you said only a kinetic hc800? idk what setup you have but that battery isn't strong enough to do everything all by itself. look at my name jrbsr05pt "05pt" also have a 03 gt. iv had multiple systems and amps in my 05 and with the stock battery up front and a kinetic hc600 in the back virtually all dimming was gone, and that was with 2 abhd18's and a audiopipe 1800 and this was all with 0 gauge run to the back no big 3 done at that time.

running a stinger alt!!!! theres no system in the car at all!!!! im trying to fix the pt cruisers flaw its a problem they never fixed with pt cruisers! guess some one missed the fact I load tested alt at 370 amps 2 days ago. my last idea to fix it is 0g ofc run from alt to batt. it will go in next week, if that don't fix it im outa ideas

the ground wire to the struts is for the wheel bearings. has nothing to do with the electrical system itself. not sure why your saying its a flaw with pt cruisers, a regular member at ptcruiserlinks and not once have I seen a post with constant dimming lights. the big 3 is obviously something people do to them but besides that no one really goes with a high out alt and don't have problems at all. I own 2 myself and have no problems. so before you get rude think man. its a problem with your car. start with the 0 gauge wire to the alt since that's cheapest, but im telling you those hc800 weren't meant to be starting/main underhood batteries, plus iv heard kinetics aren't good under the hood anyways due to the heat, I don't care what size alt you have it can test perfect at all it wants. check all battery connections, see if you knocked a ground off or did something wrong when you did half the big 3 lol

The flashing not dimming, happened when the car was 100% stock no mods. seen many on pt fourms take the car back to dealer time and time agen just to be told the flashing or flicker cant be detected, or fixed. new ecu new alt new multiswitch seems to do no good for them..

The flashing not dimming, happened when the car was 100% stock no mods. seen many on pt fourms take the car back to dealer time and time agen just to be told the flashing or flicker cant be detected, or fixed. new ecu new alt new multiswitch seems to do no good for them..
the factory grounds from the battery to chassis **** *** even before putting a system in or any other electronic. you did part of the big 3, no good (would you run a 0 gauge ground wire to your amp with a 8 gauge power wire?, you have a battery that shouldn't be there which is no good either. yeah your alt is doing its job. your battery is having trouble doing its job. before when it was stock everything was having trouble doing its job because the factory wires are like 8 gauge. finish the big 3 yourself. not a shop, that's stupid. and either get another hc800 or a bigger bat altogether. good luck.

I have a hc2200 siting in my living room.. all grounds in pt are CRAP!!!!! 0G ofc in place of 8g factory dident help! u have to drop the drive shaft to get to a pt cruiser alt its not bs job. had 0g from + and - to hc2200 in back. missing the point I have took every thing out of the car to get it stock as I can and find the bad ground.. hc 800 under hood is there for the fact my old batt under hood was not at 100% and I did not feel like putting a stock replacement in its place. I don't like it there my self just something I know is at 100% for now and could mix with a bank of amg's in back if need be.

ran ground to both main grounding brace behind head unit, and to steering steering column and did not help. checked voltage at every ground point I could find and all good. if its a bad ground I cant find it..

ran ground to both main grounding brace behind head unit, and to steering steering column and did not help. checked voltage at every ground point I could find and all good. if its a bad ground I cant find it..
Try adding a second battery. During the long bass notes on my system with it turned up to about 40, driving at night lights on, the lights would flash/dim driving down the highway which is expected with that much power being drawn from my stock battery only. I got a small kinetic hc600 and put it in the rear and it stopped the dimming and flashing. Check your positive leads then and try adding a second battery. If you have your stock battery still, put that back under the hood and install the kinetic in the back. I can almost guarantee your problem will be fixed. Twice the battery power and 0 gauge wires you should be set or if you don't have your stock battery go buy another hc800, I'm sure you know they are rather cheap. You can fit both of them under the hood with some trimming or install one in the back and one under the hood. I still say its the battery not supplying enough. I don't know what kind of system you plan on running but if its anything over 1000 watts I'd invest in newer bigger batteries anyways. It definitely never hurts to have to much battery power as long as the voltage is in check

jrbsr05pt ...... u are acting a fool or just being stupid I have told u the system had a hc2200 in back. its a short some where only affecting the stock lights in pt. we have pm'ed this before. I have 2 AQ2200's that will need way more power than one or two batts will give. at 3k rpm I got more juice than biggest amg u can buy just from alt! its a short I cant find affecting my lights only.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.