'05 Civic Hybrid Sedan - Complete Audio Retool

Participant count
  • Participant list

malditos

Sup guys, been reading the forums and getting educated on different setups. I have a 2005 Civic Hybrid with stock audio. I'm looking into replacing most, if not all, of the audio equipment. I've gathered so far that both the front and rear speakers are 5.25's on my car.

Now, going by a recommendation from a friend, I'm looking into getting the Boston Acoustics SR50's for the front powered by Boston Acoustics GT-2125 amp and just canceling out the back speakers. I've never actually heard this speakers though. Any recommendations as to something better within this price range (around $175 for a set of components) or any other suggestions?

Is the idea of canceling out the rear speakers a good one or should I get another pair of components for the back?

Now, here's my other question. As far as head units go, I want to use an Android tablet as the main sound source instead of the actual stock HU. My current HU has an Aux converter that allows you to hook up stereo RCA through the CD changer input of the head unit but I can hear some noise on the line using this Aux converter. I would like to keep the HU in the setup simply because of the radio functionality since tablets don't have actual AM/FM hardware to listen to radio. However, the HU does not have RCA output to go to the amp. So the three choices that I can think of are:

1-Hook the tablet with a 3.5mm to rca cable to the HU and then use a converter between the HU and the amp for RCA connectivity. I think this would be the worst sounding option since I would be going through two converters from audio source to amplifier.

2-Skip the HU completely and bite the bullet on radio. This way I would hook the tablet directly to the amp using a 3.5mm to rca cable. This would mean I would have no hardware volume control and would have to control sound directly on the tablet.

3-Buy a new HU with 3.5mm input and rca output.

I'm leaning more towards option 3 as I want the best sound quality without distortion or noise while keeping radio functionality and hardware volume control. Can you guys recommend any good HU's that are $150 or less, preferably with aux inputs for 3.5mm in front and back of HU as well as RCA's out?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Another thing to consider is that if you get a new head unit, you can get bluetooth, and connect wirelessly to the tablet that way. Never really tried bluetooth for audio streaming before, so i dont know how the sound quality is, but its a nice option. JVC even has a new line of stereo that can be app controlled by android. just ordered one earlier this week.

Plus, youll have usb and aux-in with a new HU too... i really think thats the only way to go.

Ive tried a setup without an HU before, and i was not a fan of having no volume knob.

tempted to groan OP for driving a hybrid....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sneaky.gif.7189749b3a3f769e8815b47e8ae87f88.gif
I drive one they are fun cars that get 45mpg.... and I probably drive it more than I drive any of these that I can pick from what I want to drive each day.........

260304_10150204607839965_514149964_7017148_965209_n.jpg

nice rides.

im assuming jaguar xj something

10' saleen mustang

either exploder or expidition,

and jeep wrangler

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

by no means do i hate 4 banger, i drive one that gets 32 mpg hwy, but a hybrid plus big car audio system usually dont go hand in hand

nice rides.im assuming jaguar xj something

10' saleen mustang

either exploder or expidition,

and jeep wrangler

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

by no means do i hate 4 banger, i drive one that gets 32 mpg hwy, but a hybrid plus big car audio system usually dont go hand in hand
The Grey one is an FX4 F150 not an SUV....

Them r nice rides.... but yeah, i gots the hybrids.

So, head unit recommendations? As i said, im looking for something that is under 150 for the hu to hook up the tablet too. I really wouldnt want to do bt audio to hu because i dont think it will be the same audio sq as a hardwired signal, but i hadnt thought about hooking up a usb flash to the hu. That would be a plus. In fact, i might as well get one with a mic so i could do hands free calling when needed. So once again, any suggestions for a HU?

Now speaker wise, are the ones I mentioned good speakers for this car? Its a small little sedan so ilI dont think I will be needing rear, or can just run the factory rears off the HU. Does anyone have any recommendations for other brand of speakers and/or amp? Much appreciated.

Alrigjt.... so, after reading the articles about ces and the new line of android compatible HUs I decided I dont really need that. I was planning on waiting for the new Alpine and Kenwoods to come out but nit anymore. So, if anyone would be so kind to point ke in tue right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Im looking for a head unit that has an aux port, preferably two, one back and one front as well as usb connectivity for a flash drive. I would also like integrated ipod control, because even though i plan on hooking an android tablet as the main audio source, i would also like the option to control an old ipod i have.

Bluetooth hands free calling is another feature im looking for, preferably with an external mic and preferably already included with the HU. Id also like to stream audio to the stereo so the bt would have to work both ways.

Finally, it would have to have 4 rca preamps, two front , two rear, though i would only use the front, i would like to have the option of later adding rears if need be.... ive read that 4v is better than 2v for the preamps but ive also read that what matters is the noise suppression (i think thats what its called) rather than the ouput voltage on the preamp? Is that true?

Bonus: if it is hd radio ready, even better.

Please, any help would be appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.