02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Build (AKA Project Silent Night)

So I emailed PSI about a quote for some recones for my motors and it has me kind of at a loss for what to do.*This is what PSI said, "These incredibly high power Neo motors will create subwoofers with very low Qts numbers, more suitable for a ported or 6th*order enclosure. There's nothing that we can do this going to specifically make these subwoofers the incredible in a 4th*order enclosure. They are going to have a very narrow bandwidth for musical use." So I think 18's are out as there*isn't room to do them flat wall which I*don't really want anyhow. Looking at a series 6th for 4 15's or selling the motors and finding something for a 4th I*don't know still going to build the shell and have that out of the way.

In other news my welder came a day early and I picked up the steel for the cage today. It*wasn't very fun unloading 600 pounds of steel by myself but I managed. Welder is just sitting on the cart hoping to have gas by Thursday and have everything welded by the weekend depending on the weather.

Well I've been slowly plugging away at this, doing the work by myself makes it pretty slow. These are the sides, most of the floor and the top they aren't done but it's just a teaser. Went and picked up some subs today 6 15's is all I'm going to say for now lol. Hopefully I can get this wrapped up in the next couple days as far as all the welding goes. More pictures to come, if anyone wants some neo motors they're for sale on Facebook.

Well I made more progress today cut 103 short pieces to make the grids for the sides top and floor pieces. I tacked all of them in place, put down enough tack welds to sunburn my face *So I have to finish welding all that I have so far tomorrow then grind the sides that the wood sits on. It's painfully tedious work. Then once I get all this in I have to do 45's to connect the two sections of floor. The back of the cage I'm going to try and build out farther it will have to 45 down from the top and then 90 to the floor we shall see.

Well progress continues got everything I had welded up and got the cage into the vehicle. I only kind of welded it in I'll weld it together better once I get the back piece finished up. Used a combination of jacks and ratchet straps to get it in and together it was a pain to get it in place by myself I just hope when it's time for the wood to go in it works out like it should. The whole time I was thinking how much easier it would have been to make a square cage. Additionally I got some more stuff for the build in the mail and some stuff I didn't need. Jigsaw and extra blades, caulk gun, center punch, 220 outlet, flush trim router bit, 200 3/4 inch self tappers, 200 1 1/2" self tappers, 40 rubber stoppers for amp mounting feet, 6 feet aluminum threaded rod, 100 aluminum nuts, 100 washers, gallon of titebond 2, cutoff wheels, and some hiem joints that definitely aren't big enough for a windshield brace don't know what I was thinking.

Seriously don't know what I was thinking these things are tiny.

Sundown sticker has seen better days.

Well I accomplished so much today that I'm going to break it into two posts. Some of the stuff I did today is probably overkill but that seems to be a theme in this build.

Made as much of the back as I could out of the Jeep and welded it up then I slid it into the jeep.

Had to use some of my 2.5"x.25" bar stock to get the right angle but made it work.

Threw in a couple extra braces I guess you could call them.

Phase two of todays project included some more bracing for the roof this is the overkill I was referring to. I cut all these pieces of angle iron and drilled 3 holes in each piece. Then I put some PL Premium on each piece and attached them to the wood on the roof. Afterwards I tacked them to the cage, I will weld them on tomorrow after the PL has had some more time to cure.

I guarantee that I didn't need this many pieces I had a hard time using them all. The placement on the roof looks random but it's basically wherever I could put them that gave me room to weld but where they didn't stick below the bottom of the cage roof. I can jump on the roof behind the B-Pillar anywhere and nothing moves at all, stupid solid.

Rear section of the roof C-Pillar to back.

B-Pillar to C-Pillar

Oh I almost forgot about the reveal that I'm sure is killing everyone lol. Not really but sharing is caring. I got these from a local he had them on 3 DC 5K's they're still surprisingly super stiff. Once came with a temp sensor for a VC1 so maybe I'll be able to pick one up.

Truck full of woofers.

The award for woofers for the jeep goes to DSS Ethos D2 15's

*** like an onion it'll bring a tear to your eye.

Well small updates today everything was super tedious for some reason. Welded all the angle iron attached to the roof to the cage, which ******. Then I used the Rustoleum plastidip and did the rear windows. I used 2 cans and it looks good from the outside but I think one more would make them look even on the inside, you can see some of the spots that the light kind of penetrates the opaqueness of the window. I also painted the cage which was the most tedious of all. I used Rustoleum flat black probably a half a quart or so. I don't think it will need another coat but I'll check it out tomorrow and see.

Well small updates today everything was super tedious for some reason. Welded all the angle iron attached to the roof to the cage, which ******. Then I used the Rustoleum plastidip and did the rear windows. I used 2 cans and it looks good from the outside but I think one more would make them look even on the inside, you can see some of the spots that the light kind of penetrates the opaqueness of the window. I also painted the cage which was the most tedious of all. I used Rustoleum flat black probably a half a quart or so. I don't think it will need another coat but I'll check it out tomorrow and see.

Dude that looks so bad *** in there !

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.