02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Build (AKA Project Silent Night)

Thanks, I'm really trying for different. Car audio really wasn't doing much for me anymore so I took a break. I've never attempted to build subs, installed a recone, built a wall, or ran more than 1 alternator. Trunk builds get limited pretty fast when you try and maintain some semblance of a budget. Just trying to have fun with this. Building enclosures as always more fun for me than the rest of it.

Well I made these today. Faraday rings for the motors I should have gotten 3 out of the piece of aluminum that I had but I messed one up so I will order another foot for the last two rings. I will likely order neo this week, and search for a new job as I'm currently laid off. Jeff is printing me a shim and some forked pieces for assembly.

Oh that *****...sorry to hear that.
Honestly I don't mind too much, it's like a small vacation and I'm getting time to do things that I wouldn't otherwise have time for. I'm fairly confident that I can find work, or at least I hope I can.

What is your title?
I guess you could say Survey Technician, I was doing aboveground cathodic protection surveys mostly on natural gas lines. I also know how to weld, I'd like to get an apprenticeship so I could start welding pipe but it isn't exactly the right time of year. I don't like factory welding. The best part of my job was being outside.

Well more small updates I dropped the Jeep off for new plugs and fluids except for an oil change, my girlfriends father does most of my mechanical work except for my Duramax which I do myself. Hopefully I'll have it back next week or something like that not in a rush. I made two more Faraday rings today as my aluminum showed up but I didn't like how one turned out so I may make another one. My shims and forks from Jeff also arrived today they will certainly be coming in handy. I ordered the neo for all of the motors so that will be arriving next week. Currently talking to Mechman about the pugs for the alternators so those will be ordered tonight as well.

With any luck I will have my Duramax put back together by Saturday and I will start on the motor assembly sometime next week. As far as motor assembly goes I need to cut the threaded rod, sandblast and paint the pillars, paint the faraday rings, and assemble them.

I cleaned the alternator cases up as best I could they're much better than they were but not perfect. It's the only picture for this update.

Well I made a little progress this evening went into where my father works and used the sand blaster, tried using the band saw to cut the threaded rod but it wasn't working well so I gave up on that I could probably do it faster with a hack saw. I wanted a little different paint color scheme I don't think the inner rings will really be visible when they're assembled but oh well I guess. Wasn't going to paint the tops of the pillars but the chamfers made it so I kind of had to. There was a small mishap with the paint as well I packed them too close together when I left that by the time I got home some of them had stuck together, I think that I'll be able to position them so none of the flaws are visible but we shall see. The Neo should arrive Wednesday provided the storms don't hold them back.

Sandblasted:

Painting some stuff:

http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/nkrell11/media/The Jeep Build/20170109_212241_zpscmsfqy1m.jpg.html

20170109_212241_zpscmsfqy1m.jpg

All lined up after unpacking:

Small preview of the motors:

Oh yeah what's that? He's been helping me out a lot with suggestions and such for when I put these together. He also 3D printed the shims and forks for me.
He's gotta somewhat of a buildlog/thread on custom subs as well over at caco.

He's gotta somewhat of a buildlog/thread on custom subs as well over at caco.
Haha unfortunately I'd have to admit that Jeff is much smarter than me, he's currently designing his own subs which I imagine will be awesome. He has plenty of experience rebuilding motors, customizing motors, and building custom subs. I have nothing but good things to say about Jeff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.