Kenyon Horsford

US Acoustics Barbara Ann Opinions or Alternatives

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I've been looking around for a decent not too expensive Amplifier to fill my sound stage in the region of 75-100W RMS 

I came across the Barbara Ann by Us Acoustics. It seems to have a good Heritage but not many persons seem to have used them , I like the overall specifications too.

I know it's somewhat Old school design Class A/B Etc but I'm hoping to have some thoughts on them or if in any ones opinion there is a viable reliable alternative.

I'm a bit concerned about some Class D amplifiers and FM interference ( Thats probably for another topic). In my understanding I'm thinking this Amplifer or something like it will provide the quality I need. My budget is right around $150-$225 

Can any one comment on this Barbara Ann Amplifier ?

Thanks!

51 minutes ago, Kenyon Horsford said:

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I've been looking around for a decent not too expensive Amplifier to fill my sound stage in the region of 75-100W RMS 

I came across the Barbara Ann by Us Acoustics. It seems to have a good Heritage but not many persons seem to have used them , I like the overall specifications too.

I know it's somewhat Old school design Class A/B Etc but I'm hoping to have some thoughts on them or if in any ones opinion there is a viable reliable alternative.

I'm a bit concerned about some Class D amplifiers and FM interference ( Thats probably for another topic). In my understanding I'm thinking this Amplifer or something like it will provide the quality I need. My budget is right around $150-$225 

Can any one comment on this Barbara Ann Amplifier ?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!!

I am running a Barbara Ann in 4 channel mode at 4ohms (22.4v on the output terminals of the amps front channels using a 0db 1kHz tone which should be just north of 125w with that 1kHz tone [actual music power will be less... I am guessing 80 - 90 seriously clean watts]) on Kenwood eXcelon Components up front and eXcelon coaxials in the rear. I push it hard and it barely gets warm. It moves my battery gauge when I am pushing it so I know it is using some power to make that power. I can tell it has more power in reserve... in my opinion this amp is definitely underrated. It's a big amp and takes up some room. It looks good and performs flawlessly. It has never shut down. I have never heard any weird noises from it. I have it about 2 feet from a 1200w Class D amplifier and I have NEVER heard a hum or hiss or anything coming out of my door speakers... (Using my good ear lol). I think if you use 2ohm speakers and set the amp gains correctly it would be loud enough to cause pain. But cause the pain with clean sound. I would suggest this amplifier ALL DAY to anyone and I have nothing bad to say about it.

You can see the size with my hand. I am 5'10" I wear a large glove.

20190611_143612_HDR.jpg

20190611_143621_HDR.jpg

Edited by ThxOne

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon (Technically in progress?)

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Rolling Cluster F**K - But Sounds Good

Appreciate that Reply. THXone I know this amp may not be the most efficient design ( Power usage wise)  You said it  moves your Battery Gauge. In your opinion would this amplifier demand a major electrical system upgrade. I have no intention of High Spl's just looking for something with the power head room for dynamic range purposes since I may use drivers with lower efficiency ( i understand Sq drivers to have lower efficiency)   Thinking more along the SQ line  of things according to my limited understanding.

5 minutes ago, Kenyon Horsford said:

Appreciate that Reply. THXone I know this amp may not be the most efficient design ( Power usage wise)  You said it  moves your Battery Gauge. In your opinion would this amplifier demand a major electrical system upgrade. I have no intention of High Spl's just looking for something with the power head room for dynamic range purposes since I may use drivers with lower efficiency ( i understand Sq drivers to have lower efficiency)   Thinking more along the SQ line  of things according to my limited understanding.

I'd use an AGM battery and do a minimum of the Big 3. I am using a normal upfront battery, Big 4, 0awg cables to the back, 4awg at the amplifiers, 125amp alternator (90a stock). I admit that my old Jeep doesn't have the best electrical but it only moves the gauge on really midbass heavy songs. If you have a modern electrical system and good grounds... stock with a big 3 and AGM battery will do all day long. On a side note... mine is dropping from near 14v to just above 13.2v. Not a huge drop. Certainly nothing to worry about.

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon (Technically in progress?)

2 minutes ago, ThxOne said:

I'd use an AGM battery and do a minimum of the Big 3. I am using a normal upfront battery, Big 4, 0awg cables to the back, 4awg at the amplifiers, 125amp alternator (90a stock). I admit that my old Jeep doesn't have the best electrical but it only moves the gauge on really midbass heavy songs. If you have a modern electrical system and good grounds... stock with a big 3 and AGM battery will do all day long. On a side note... mine is dropping from near 14v to just above 13.2v. Not a huge drop. Certainly nothing to worry about.

Sounds good on the Electrical Supply Part ...... She is a pretty big Lady ( Barbara Ann) .

1 minute ago, Kenyon Horsford said:

Sounds good on the Electrical Supply Part ...... She is a pretty big Lady ( Barbara Ann) .

True, she's a big girl... feed her well and she will hook you up lol.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now