Build Advice Please!

Stephen Perry

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey, my names Stephen and I'm starting my all new mid-life crisis and in need of help! B) 

As a young lad back in the mid 80's and 90's I was rocking a couple of 12" MTX with a LinearPower amp. Didn't have a clue in the world of what I was doing. Wires everywhere (yes, even thru door jams) in an old Chevelle that leaked water inside everywhere. Bass was....ok, the rearview vibrated a bit from the massive box in my back seat...I was a giddy young man.

FF twenty years, still yearning for that bass (or better) and still without a clue as of what I'm doing so I'm looking for some direction. 

I work midnights and raising a young man on my own with little time for myself. Trying to research all this is often distracted by fatherly duties and/or dozing off from lack of sleep so any advice would be a blessing! Thought maybe if I created a list here of must-haves and dont-wants some kind intelligent soul here could guide me on averting the pre-mentioned crisis.

The end game would most likely be installed by the local brick and mortar sound shop. My first thought was going to them for direction but with my lack of knowledge I'm leary of being bent over a sub-box by a shady salesman and drained of all cash. 

This would all go in a 2019 Civic EX sedan. 

Although there's a decent amount of trunk space I would still like to be able to fit a couple duffle bags back there for traveling. Plus the idea of having a massive box back there eating away at my 32.6 mpg is disheartening. 

I'm not looking to flex my car to pieces, upgrade or add alternators or enter comps but still would like to piss off my neighbor and turn a few heads when I do make those precious trips to the grocery store or that drive to work. Its the only time I get to myself! Haha 

Would like to keep it at around $1000-$1500 for everything. Just exactly what that "everything" is is what I'm needing help with...speakers, amps, enclosures, gauge of wire, inline fuses.. I'm sure there's more to it.. With what little research I've done I'm liking the Sundown Audio. 

I want to be able to hand over everything to an installer and say "here, assemble please!" and not get taken by overpriced components or unnecessary add-ons.

Also I plan on keeping the factory head unit and speakers, maybe one day replacing the door and back deck speakers. As it is now I feel it will suffice for mids and highs. I could be wrong though. 

Again, any direction and advice would be truly truly truly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
you can get one of these... http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-processors-oem-integration

and add a sub and amp.  Sundown subs are nice for the $.  

this would be nice..

https://www.woofersetc.com/c-23-subwoofers/c-34-12-subwoofers/p-9261-sa-12-d2-sundown-audio-12-600w-dual-2-ohm-sa-series-subwoofer.html

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-Prime-channel-Amplifier/dp/B004T166L8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Rockford+Fosgate+Prime+R750-1D&qid=1558808756&s=gateway&sr=8-1

i have the RF 500x1 amp, its nice.  thing does like 630 watts before clipping at 2 ohms

i picked up a 4 gauge Kicker amp wiring kit off amazon i think for like $70.  its nice too.  Best Buy was selling it for like $150, ouch lol

Hey, my names Stephen and I'm starting my all new mid-life crisis and in need of help! B) 

The end game would most likely be installed by the local brick and mortar sound shop. My first thought was going to them for direction but with my lack of knowledge I'm leary of being bent over a sub-box by a shady salesman and drained of all cash. Again, any direction and advice would be truly truly truly appreciated. Thanks!
Hey Stephen. Send me a private message with your ZIP or postal code and I'll refer you to a nearby mobile audio professional.

Plus the idea of having a massive box back there eating away at my 32.6 mpg is disheartening. 
Unless you're going monstrous, I doubt the fuel mileage loss would be measurable. You MAY drop to 32.5 mpg, but there's so many variables involved that there's no way to tell for certain. If using an extra gallon of gas every 10,000 miles is a make or break deal, then you wouldn't be considering buying this stuff anyway.

Find what works for you and enjoy it. 

Thanking for the feedback! 

So looking deeper into this all im thinking maybe a single Sundown sa12" with an amp between 750w-1000w rms which posses another question. 

How do I go about finding out figuring wether or not my alternator will suffice? 

I can't find any specs on my alternator online. Even tried searching for a factory replacement alternator to try and get some specs from a description lol but ya no luck..

Would I even need an upgrade on the alternator?

I did find that the system has an 180w factory amp so it makes me question how hard the alternators already working..

Mooncatt said:
Unless you're going monstrous, I doubt the fuel mileage loss would be measurable. You MAY drop to 32.5 mpg, but there's so many variables involved that there's no way to tell for certain. If using an extra gallon of gas every 10,000 miles is a make or break deal, then you wouldn't be considering buying this stuff anyway.

Find what works for you and enjoy it. 
in a small car, every lb matters i've measured a 3 mpg drop with a 250lb sound system on my old corolla.

Stephen Perry said:
Thanking for the feedback! 

So looking deeper into this all im thinking maybe a single Sundown sa12" with an amp between 750w-1000w rms which posses another question. 

How do I go about finding out figuring wether or not my alternator will suffice? 

I can't find any specs on my alternator online. Even tried searching for a factory replacement alternator to try and get some specs from a description lol but ya no luck..

Would I even need an upgrade on the alternator?

I did find that the system has an 180w factory amp so it makes me question how hard the alternators already working..
install a voltmeter, turn it up until you are dropping around 12.6 volts and you are good. If its dropping to below 12, you need to lower the gains. You dont need to worry about an alt with 1000ish watts into the system.  

Dont swap out speakers unless you plan on completely redoing the head unit situation with a DSP or head unit swap with a stronger 4 channel amp along with baffling, acoustical door treatments etc.... Stock head unit has stock EQ curve, high pass filters and sh*tty dacs which wont be anywhere half decent on aftermarket speakers and those speakers require something much more powerful than your factory amp.  

So definitely dont touch the mids and highs unless you have A LOT more knowledge in you. 

You can also do the install yourself and save some cash along with knowing where everything is and making sure its done right.  Just because its a shop doesnt mean it wont turn into a ghetto rigged hackjob install.   

in a small car, every lb matters i've measured a 3 mpg drop with a 250lb sound system on my old corolla.
For his setup of a single 12" sub and amp, I still doubt the mileage drop would be noticeable, either by tracking with pen and paper or the pocket book. I'm running a couple 10" MTX Blue Thunder Xtreme's, which are no lightweight. All in, I'm maybe 80 lbs of hardware. No more than 100 lbs for sure. I never had a noticeable mileage drop in the various cars I've used it in (2 Neons, Focus, and G6). His one sub is under 30 lbs, so his may be less weight than mine, all in. Even in a scenario like yours, a 3mpg drop isn't going to break the bank and I don't think is worth losing sleep over unless you're a big environmentalist or hyper-miler. If you fall into either of those categories, chances are you wouldn't be looking into doing this kind of an upgrade in the first place.

Don't worry, be happy. ;)

For his setup of a single 12" sub and amp, I still doubt the mileage drop would be noticeable, either by tracking with pen and paper or the pocket book. I'm running a couple 10" MTX Blue Thunder Xtreme's, which are no lightweight. All in, I'm maybe 80 lbs of hardware. No more than 100 lbs for sure. I never had a noticeable mileage drop in the various cars I've used it in (2 Neons, Focus, and G6). His one sub is under 30 lbs, so his may be less weight than mine, all in. Even in a scenario like yours, a 3mpg drop isn't going to break the bank and I don't think is worth losing sleep over unless you're a big environmentalist or hyper-miler. If you fall into either of those categories, chances are you wouldn't be looking into doing this kind of an upgrade in the first place.

Don't worry, be happy. ;)
It depends on the car a bit too. In-line 4cyl cars will notice this more than even a bigger 4cyl car or V6. I have a 2.4L 4cyl Sonata, and can't tell much now but before when I had 3-4 AGMs a 70lb box and two 45lb subs coupled with a large amp I noticed. Deadner etc adds up too.  If you do not see the suspension sag at all or even a little though you are probably fine.  But just depends on the car itself too.  With everything in it now it still outperforms my Montero though.

You have lots of options but one to consider is going IB, so you can utilize your trunk space whilst getting bass as well! :fro:   Works for me since my family uses the car.  Agree with JeffDaChef that don't change speakers unless you plan to run them with an aftermarket amp. You can get a small monobloc and a single subwoofer in IB and it should be ok until you decide to spend more money on components and sound deadening them front door speakers mate! :graduate:

1537521088225.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.