Whats your states legislation with car audio restrictions?

Participant count
  • Participant list

DRBOOM

CarAudio.com Exclusive
Hey guys and gals!

I know since there are so many restrictions with sound systems in US and you guys have so many states there, what is your current trend and your states legislation when it comes to car audio systems.

In Sydney Australia, we don't get slapped a fine (citation in your language) by the cops unless:

• your subwoofer box is not bolted in along with your amplifier, but you will not attract attention unless you drive a total 'shitbox'  rusting to bits (but I have not heard anyone being busted as yet)
  • You are emitting red and blue flashing lights that go with the beat and is visible to oncoming traffic;
  • You are blaring your sound system past 10.00pm at night in a residential area;
  • Your installation is done by cutting metal holes on the rear deck that actually weakens the rear deck in case of an accident; (in such case your vehicle is considered a 'defect")
  • Your subwoofer box is so huge that you your rear vision mirror has become obsolete;
In Australia only the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) can fine you after conducting an SPL test on your car but you have to be cranking it loud to attract attention.  Most instances it is not reported since the 'thump, thump" only lasts a few seconds and then fades away.   Lastly, there has been a huge drop in car audio modification in Australia due to newer cars with integrated head units and car dealers providing much better 'premium' sound in the new cars they sell.   I attend the local car lovers gathering near my home and attached some photos for you.

Feel free to comment!

20150228_215150.jpg

20150228_215631.jpg

1465550421322.jpg

IMG_20140830_204044.jpg

20150228_215315.jpg

20150228_215254.jpg

20150228_215426.jpg

20150228_221756.jpg

20151128_212122.jpg

I'm sure states have legislation on the books against creating a nuisance, but the restrictions are more on a local municipality level. Each town is different and the attitude of the cops varies as well.

Typically the smaller rural less funded towns will have cops that are dicks who will go after you for loud stereos or exhaust or window tint being too dark, especially if your skin isn't white.

Larger cities with higher crime rates and better funding couldnt give a **** about a loud stereo unless multiple people complain about it, then they will show up a few hours after the call.

Thanks for your feedback ThatpurpleKush.

I agree with your comments about cops attitude in the city compared to rural outskirts of town.

I do travel in the bush to attend meetings and its a 5.5 hour drive.  I just keep a low profile as to not to attract unwanted attention as the last thing I want is my car vandalised due to my stupidity.  This will also stop unwanted attention by the cops as well.  Best to play it smart I guess! 

In Australia, once you get caught by the cops, they will always pull you over just to check if your licence is not disqualified or If your car has past registration.  In Australia, the police highway patrol vehicles do scan oncoming vehicle  number plates so if you or your car get detected for outstanding fines (citations) you can bet your bottom dollar, that whey will turn around and come after you. if you are in the hobby of modifying your engine bay (illegally) say putting a turbo or other performance parts, then you run the risk of getting your car impounded as well and that also can happen if you fail to pay your fines that can lead to cancellation of your vehicles licence without you being advised of it.  Best to pay your fines on time as it can potentially lead to not being able to drive on as well as vehicle registration cancellation....double trouble!!

Last edited by a moderator:
  •  
  • Your subwoofer box is so huge that you your rear vision mirror has become obsolete;
If you even have a rearview mirror you ain't loud.   The rest of your list sounds like nanny-state ********.

Here AFAIK noise ordinances are town/county level and things like mirrors, blacking out rear windows, etc. are all state level stuff.... some states have very strict inspection standards, some have none at all.

I don't think any town closer than 30 miles from me even has a police department and I've only ever seen a county sheriff once so this is really a non-issue here.   Also as has been mentioned most of our major cities are enormous crime infested third world toilets so if you're in, say, Chicago where they have 1000 murders a year and police take half an hour to respond to a carjacking they probably won't have time or resources to waste on loud music unless you're doing something else wrong or are just being a complete retard.

Cool pics from your local shows.  I appreciate those pretty installs, though you don't see much of that anymore and from my experience they're almost never loud.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.