BroncosNeverDie

Rockford Fosgate: Punch vs. Power

Hi!

I know this question has probably already been asked but I am curious, for my application, which speakers would be better. I listen to mostly metal. I don't necessarily need extreme "loudness", I am far more concerned with quality of the sound. So I am torn between the Punch and Power series of speakers from Rockford Fosgate. Basically, I am looking for that nice sound quality while still being "punchy", where you FEEL the music. Especially with metal, I want to feel every kick of the bass drum. Money isn't much of a problem in this scenario. I saved up a lot for a sound system, which includes sound dampening, a 175A alternator, another battery, two amplifiers and a DSP. All of this will be added into a 1994 Ford Bronco.

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

neither. go with something with actual midbass capabilities.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Thanks for the input! Mind pointing me in the right direction? What company do you recommend?

I just realized you've already listed some other speakers in a previous post of mine. I have looked in to the Exodus Audio Anarchy 7" speakers and while I would go with those, they will not fit my car (I checked...). My doors fit 6.5" speakers max.

What about JL Audio? Is the C2-650X Evolution better for midrange? Like I said, I'm looking for clean, crisp, but punchy audio.

Thanks!

Edited by BroncosNeverDie

I just realized you've already listed some other speakers in a previous post of mine. I have looked in to the Exodus Audio Anarchy 7" speakers and while I would go with those, they will not fit my car (I checked...). My doors fit 6.5" speakers max.

What about JL Audio? Is the C2-650X Evolution better for midrange? Like I said, I'm looking for clean, crisp, but punchy audio.

Thanks!

C2s are junk for their pricing dude. Madisound and parts express has far superior drivers than the bottom of the barrel stuff from JL and rockford. Superior as in there are drivers that rockford uses in their 1600 Dollar T5 series for only 270 bucks on these sites. Yes same exact midranges performance wise, just different cosmetics

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-woofers/seas-excel-w15ch001-e0037-5.5-magnesium-cone-woofer/

Got a link for the tweeter too but ill have to hunt for it. But rockford, alpine JL etc all use seas prestige, scanspeak, andsb acoustics to manufacture their higher end lines. Then put a giant undeserved markup on company's speakers.

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

C2s are junk for their pricing dude. Madisound and parts express has far superior drivers than the bottom of the barrel stuff from JL and rockford. Superior as in there are drivers that rockford uses in their 1600 Dollar T5 series for only 270 bucks on these sites. Yes same exact midranges performance wise, just different cosmetics

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-woofers/seas-excel-w15ch001-e0037-5.5-magnesium-cone-woofer/

Got a link for the tweeter too but ill have to hunt for it. But rockford, alpine JL etc all use seas prestige, scanspeak, andsb acoustics to manufacture their higher end lines. Then put a giant undeserved markup on company's speakers.

Hm... those are 5.5". I'm looking at forums and trying to decide but there's so many options. Also, should I buy component or coaxial speakers? I don't have anywhere to mount tweeters. Unless I buy mounting/pods for them and put them on the dash. But I've heard moving them too far from the speakers themselves gives bad results.

Hm... those are 5.5". I'm looking at forums and trying to decide but there's so many options. Also, should I buy component or coaxial speakers? I don't have anywhere to mount tweeters. Unless I buy mounting/pods for them and put them on the dash. But I've heard moving them too far from the speakers themselves gives bad results.

No, up and wide is fine. Too low, when you have anything covering it such as a passenger leg or something you basically lost that tweeter's response. You want tweeters on axis meaning firing directly directly at you, well they cant fire directly at you if there's a leg in the way. Sail panel or A pillar is best.

Those T5s are just an example of a mainstream brand rebadging and having other companies build their speakers for them then just slapping their brand and logo in. While the true master builders are the ones that get zero recognition.

If you want a mid woofer designed more for auto/open baffle specific, that sounds great out of the box with a total Q ts parameter that supports good mid bass, than look at the AudioFrog 6” mid woofers. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_898GS60/Audiofrog-GS60.html?tp=68800&avf=N I highly doubt you can go wrong with these.

The tweeter is where you can get great quality for less money from Madisound and Parts Express. SB Acoustics are great sounding tweeters although I know Jeff doesn’t like the SB Acoustics SB29RDCN I have. There are many tweeters from Tang Bang, Peerless, SB Acoustics, Seas, and Morel that are relatively inexpensive, yet sound awesome compared to overpriced car auto specific tweeters.

2014 Sienna 2-way active SQ system. SB Acoustics SB29RDCN Tweeters. Focal PS165V mid woofers. Pioneer D9500F 75 watts RMS x 4. Pioneer BHS 5800 HU. AudioControl EQX. 10” Alpine SWS sub in custom ported box tuned to 35 hz on JBL GTX 500.

2014 F-150 XL WT 2-way active budget SQ system. Tang Band 25-302SH 1" tweeters. Dayton Audio ND140-4 mid woofers. Pioneer D8604. JBL Club 5501. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP & FIX 86. Sundown SD3 10” sub ported/ 33Hz 1 cube.

2014 CX5 3-way active SQ system. Pioneer 1330 NIX HU. Dayton AMT tweeters. Celestion AN2775 2-3/4 midrange. NVX XSP65 mid woofers. Pioneer PRS D4200F 75 WPC x 4. Infinity K1000. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP. Sundown SA 12” 2 cube/33Hz.

^This^

When it's all said and done, most of the time, there's more said than done.

How would you compare the Seas drivers with CDT es65as speakers? The ones from the 15th anniversary set? Are the CDTs made for IB?

Sorry for asking you but l've seen you know A LOT about lots of different speakers and are probably not biased.

Happy to see this is turning into a full-fledged conversation! Does anyone have a better recommendation for the door-panel 6.5" midbass speakers than the Audio Frog that Jcsaudio?

Thanks!

Happy to see this is turning into a full-fledged conversation! Does anyone have a better recommendation for the door-panel 6.5" midbass speakers than the Audio Frog that Jcsaudio?

Thanks!

The NVX XSP65 are very good but not good if you want lots off mid bass. https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68824_NVX-XSP65.html . These are also the same as the SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, 6" Woofer, just re-badged with a slightly stiffer suspension I believe (slightly higher QTS). I think these sound best crossed over at 2000 Hz and I run these currently in my CX5. There is a poly cone version for sale on this forum. Also consider the Silver Flute W17RC38-04 6.5" Woofer Wool Cone 4 ohm https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/silver-flute-woofers-6-7/silver-flute-w17rc38-04-ohm-6-1/2-wool-cone/ I just got these and will install them and review them soon and they get good reviews by people on this forum and RTA and REW Measurements Dump - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

2014 Sienna 2-way active SQ system. SB Acoustics SB29RDCN Tweeters. Focal PS165V mid woofers. Pioneer D9500F 75 watts RMS x 4. Pioneer BHS 5800 HU. AudioControl EQX. 10” Alpine SWS sub in custom ported box tuned to 35 hz on JBL GTX 500.

2014 F-150 XL WT 2-way active budget SQ system. Tang Band 25-302SH 1" tweeters. Dayton Audio ND140-4 mid woofers. Pioneer D8604. JBL Club 5501. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP & FIX 86. Sundown SD3 10” sub ported/ 33Hz 1 cube.

2014 CX5 3-way active SQ system. Pioneer 1330 NIX HU. Dayton AMT tweeters. Celestion AN2775 2-3/4 midrange. NVX XSP65 mid woofers. Pioneer PRS D4200F 75 WPC x 4. Infinity K1000. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP. Sundown SA 12” 2 cube/33Hz.

No, up and wide is fine. Too low, when you have anything covering it such as a passenger leg or something you basically lost that tweeter's response. You want tweeters on axis meaning firing directly directly at you, well they cant fire directly at you if there's a leg in the way. Sail panel or A pillar is best.

Those T5s are just an example of a mainstream brand rebadging and having other companies build their speakers for them then just slapping their brand and logo in. While the true master builders are the ones that get zero recognition.

So, I'm actually really interested now in the 7" Anarchy speakers you linked on a previous thread of mine. I've read great reviews and after I put a new alternator in (175A), I won't have problems getting a huge amp for them. But is there a way to make them fit the stock 6.5" speaker hole? I couldn't yet find a 7" to 6.5" adapter. I could drill hole or whatever. And I do have enough space. The door depth is like ~12cm+.

So, I'm actually really interested now in the 7" Anarchy speakers you linked on a previous thread of mine. I've read great reviews and after I put a new alternator in (175A), I won't have problems getting a huge amp for them. But is there a way to make them fit the stock 6.5" speaker hole? I couldn't yet find a 7" to 6.5" adapter. I could drill hole or whatever. And I do have enough space. The door depth is like ~12cm+.

PVC Speaker Adapters - CNC Machined - In Stock or Custom Made

this guy makes all sorts of adapters. i ordered a set and theyre pretty awesome

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

One last question;

My truck currently has the stock 95A alternator. With this, would it be enough for the setup I'm looking at? Anarchy 7" front, tweeters, some 6x8 in the back and a ~600W subwoofer? I know it's probably way too much for that small alternator but I figured I'd ask. The next option is replacing it with a 130A or 200A alternator. Which do y'all recommend? Thanks!