Get a 2nd Battery or Replace the Stock Battery with a Bigger One?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rhythm
10+ year member

I think I'm in the home stretch with figuring out everything for my first system.

It's been more than 6 years that I've been going back and forth about buying a system, and I think I actually might pull the trigger!

One of my last questions is regarding an additional battery. I don't know if I should get a second battery to work with my stock battery, or if I should just buy a more powerful battery to REPLACE the stock battery with.

The system would be right around 1000 rms for a 2012 Civic LX when it's all said and done. I was told to steer clear of capacitors.

Any thoughts or advantages/disadvantages to either way?

Oh you're gonna be told to steer clear of caps lol trust me lol. Jump on a Big 3 upgrade and an AGM battery up front. I am sure the others will come in and agree.
Thanks - I've got another person telling me to invest in a HO alternator....is that necessary?

Steer clear of **** caps, that are under 20f and are one big cylinder.

Absolutely go for banks of maxwell or XS power ultracaps. They're 3000f and ~400-500f in a bank and make a massive difference, but you need to have a HO alt first.

Considering you are running 1000w you don't need a bank of caps, and you might not need a HO alt. Just some proper wiring.

I think I'm in the home stretch with figuring out everything for my first system.
It's been more than 6 years that I've been going back and forth about buying a system, and I think I actually might pull the trigger!

One of my last questions is regarding an additional battery. I don't know if I should get a second battery to work with my stock battery, or if I should just buy a more powerful battery to REPLACE the stock battery with.

The system would be right around 1000 rms for a 2012 Civic LX when it's all said and done. I was told to steer clear of capacitors.

Any thoughts or advantages/disadvantages to either way?
depends on how many amps alt has mine is 125 and i run 1100rms no problems with agm start batt and big3 wires..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.