Which Subs? All About SQ For Me

jtsai1
10+ year member

Mesa, AZ
Hello everybody, as you can see I'm pretty new here. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

if there's another thread I should be looking at, thread please?

But I was just wondering... what do you guys think of these subs that I'm considering...and if you know somewhere with a great price, let me know... Oh yeah, my first priority is SQ. I just want real clean, CRISP bass. Not unending BOOOOOOM. Also, budget is a consideration. No more than $400. Not necessarily as close to $400 as you can get though =).

By the way, problem is, there's not really retail stores that I know of that sell any of these so I only have a feel for the Audiobahn and the Diamond Audio. Thanks for any help!

I'm considering: If you guys have any other recommendations let me know

1) Focal 27K (11") or 33K (13")

2) Image Dynamics IDMAX12D4 - 12"

3) JL Audio 12W6V2D4

4) JL 10W7 - 10"

5) Diamond Audio TDX12D4 - 12"

6) Eclipse Titanium SW9012 10"

That's it, thanks guys.

The IDMAX is nice.

If your trying to stay under $400, and not get close if possible, than I'd stay away from the JL's.

I've heard great things about the Diamond TDX, but I believe they require quite a bit of power. Which might require you to get a bigger, more expesive amplifier.

I've owned Eclipse Titaniums. They sound pretty darn good, but they have poor cone area due to their large surround.

And I don't know about Audiobahn for all out SQ. All the Audiobahns I've heard weren't that great in that department.

Let me suggest a couple other choices that you should DEFINATELY look into for all out SQ. And I have owned these.

Crystal CMPx2 or COMPx2

Elemental Designs A series

http://www.crystalmobilesound.com

http://www.edesignaudio.com

You can probably get the ED A series for well under your budget, and they sound beautiful. Check their clearance rack. They have quite a few that they're trying to get rid of since they're coming out with a new model.

The Crystals are outstanding aswell. Btw, don't be scared away by the price on their website, you can get them for MUCH cheaper if you search around.

Both are nice subs, with a nice amount of xmax to get the bass pumping, but at the same time their very clear, and blend well with your system.

Also whatever sub you decide to get, don't think that the sub will reproduce your music to the peak of it's ability if you just toss it in any enclosure. Make sure you get a custom built enclosure for it to perform at it's full potential--> http://www.gnomeaudio.com For "optimum" performance, get it made to the manufacturers specifications //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

And have a little bit more power than necessary to decrease the chance of you sending your sub clipped power due to you pushing a smaller amp to it's max. If possible find an amp about 50-200rms more than what the sub requires. If anything, sending it a little more 'clean' power than the sub is rated won't hurt NEARLY as much as you sending the sub major distorted clipped power.

I hope your happy with whatever choice you make.

Good Luck //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

throw the audiobahn and the RF right out of the comparison. I would look more closely @ the Eclipse, JL, and Diamond stuff. That's just me though, as the Focal and ID subs would be as good or better depending on the install on each woofer

I would recommend looking into the eclipse aluminum cone subs not the titanium for sq. THe aluminum cones are known for being an sq woofer.

thanks Berry, do the titaniums just hit harder or something? Wow, cause the Aluminums are like 150 cheaper

that's good =)

thanks, is there anywhere I can look to see what all the stuff means in a practical layman's terms?

stuff=Free Air Resonance (Fs), electrical "Q", total "Q", effective pistona area, cone area, etc.

where can I find out what all this means and what it means for subs? do you know Berry? Or does anyone know?

Just my $.02, i have a Crystal CMP12, and i love it for SQ. I have it 1 cubic foot, but i would prob. go a bit smaller next time. It sounds very good, and i have yet to hear it distort-(love that underhung voice coil!). Anyway, if you can find one cheaper than retail, they're worth it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.