Help me understand this

Water Bear

Senior VIP Member
So I've been looking at class D sub amps around the 1k-1.2k watt mark. I've looked at everything from Zed and Zapco to mainstream brands. (BTW Zed has some really great articles on his blog).

So here's the JL Audio HD series (yes I know they are way over priced):

HD 1200 watt amp

The relevant specs:

S/N @ rated power: >110 db

S/N @ 1 watt: > 79 db

Damping Factor @ 4 Ω: >500 / 50 Hz

Damping Factor @ 2 Ω: >250 / 50 Hz

THD+N @ Rated Power:

And then there's the Alpine MRV-M1200:

MRV 1200 watt amp

The relevant specs:

Signal to Noise (Rated Power into 4 Ohms): >105 dB

Signal to Noise (1W into 4 Ohms): >85 dB

Damping Factor (10W into 4 Ohms at 100Hz): >750

Now the THD is not listed, but it's

So please explain to me. Why would I pay $584 more for the JL when the cheap-o Alpine has incredibly similar specs. And don't say balanced inputs, because Stephen Martz says that doesn't matter much in car audio.

yep that's all... 50% of all jl price is the name... lot of decent amps in class lots cheaper u be better off with sundown.. i forget is your sa d4? list your equipment in sig make it easier..

[quote name='Water Bear']So I've been looking at class D sub amps around the 1k-1.2k watt mark. I've looked at everything from Zed and Zapco to mainstream brands. (BTW Zed has some really great articles on his blog).

HD 1200 watt amp

The relevant specs:

THD+N @ Rated Power: <0.03% @ 4 Ω

MRV 1200 watt amp

The relevant specs:

Now the THD is not listed, but it's <1% at rated power, and the limit of human hearing is 1% (or so I've read). Also the JL THD of <0.03% is probably not at rated power anyway. Damping factor for the Alpine will be worse at 50 Hertz but I wouldn't expect it to be dramatically worse.

So please explain to me. Why would I pay $584 more for the JL when the cheap-o Alpine has incredibly similar specs. And don't say balanced inputs, because Stephen Martz says that doesn't matter much in car audio.[/QUOTE]
@LosIsATool
this guy knows more about amps than you do.

[quote name='Papermaker85']@LosIsATool
this guy knows more about amps than you do.[/QUOTE]

Obviously he don’t know regulated power supply’s cost more.
Moron.
And balanced inputs do work if you use twisted pair RCAs.
Mantz has changed his tune many times over the years. And produced a lot of amps that fail/QC issues.

So I've been looking at class D sub amps around the 1k-1.2k watt mark. I've looked at everything from Zed and Zapco to mainstream brands. (BTW Zed has some really great articles on his blog).

HD 1200 watt amp

The relevant specs:

THD+N @ Rated Power:

MRV 1200 watt amp

The relevant specs:

Now the THD is not listed, but it's

So please explain to me. Why would I pay $584 more for the JL when the cheap-o Alpine has incredibly similar specs. And don't say balanced inputs, because Stephen Martz says that doesn't matter much in car audio.
The JL has RIPs. It’s the only thing on the market that will do rated power 1.5-4ohm AND 12v-14v. That’s why it cost more.

RIPs also doesn’t lose power to fast spikes in impeadance rise.

Are they worth the cost? That’s up to you. If I could fit slash amps that’s what I would be using, I loved my old set.

The HDs look funny to me so I don’t like them.

The JL has RIPs. It’s the only thing on the market that will do rated power 1.5-4ohm AND 12v-14v. That’s why it cost more. RIPs also doesn’t lose power to fast spikes in impeadance rise.

Are they worth the cost? That’s up to you. If I could fit slash amps that’s what I would be using, I loved my old set.

The HDs look funny to me so I don’t like them.
******** is flowing.

you know nothing about the circuit..

Obviously he don’t know regulated power supply’s cost more. Moron.

And balanced inputs do work if you use twisted pair RCAs.

Mantz has changed his tune many times over the years. And produced a lot of amps that fail/QC issues.
394.jpg

I'm just messin with you, man.

yep that's all... 50% of all jl price is the name... lot of decent amps in class lots cheaper u be better off with sundown.. i forget is your sa d4? list your equipment in sig make it easier..
Will do. You are correct, I have a D4 SA-12.

The JL has RIPs. It’s the only thing on the market that will do rated power 1.5-4ohm AND 12v-14v.
That may be true. Alpine's PDX series will do rated power at 2 and 4 ohm, but I don't know how it varies with voltage.

394.jpg

That may be true. Alpine's PDX series will do rated power at 2 and 4 ohm, but I don't know how it varies with voltage.
The fact is amps with RIPs will destroy another of the same rating.

Sound the same but there is an obvious power difference. I will take 1200 watts of those over 2000 watts of something else.

394.jpg

wow that was pretty good., looks like something youdo woulda done u slipping youdo... my thing is tht jl would cost twice what other would i don't see how it's worth it, now to do full power over different ohm loads i think thats cool but not worth say $300 extra if u know what ohm load u gonna run..

wow that was pretty good., looks like something youdo woulda done u slipping youdo... my thing is tht jl would cost twice what other would i don't see how it's worth it, now to do full power over different ohm loads i think thats cool but not worth say $300 extra if u know what ohm load u gonna run..
I hear ya. It's a cool feature but I'm ok with my system drawing less amps (and putting out fewer watts) when the voltage drops. Wouldn't pay $500 for it.

394.jpg

didn't i tell you he was full of ****? my pg xenon will make that jl look like ****.. 225x4 from 1 ohm to 4 ohm... hes a moron..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.