Hide screw holes

Lbetts818

CarAudio.com Elite
How do you guys hide screw holes in the box when assembling ? Do you just use wood filler? I'm planning on doing one with the cherry stain and don't want nasty screw hole marks. Going to really take my time and make it a really really nice box and don't want those pesky screws showing

I filled mine in with a wood glue/saw dust mixture. Let it set, then sanded smooth.

I stained my box aswell, so I wanted to keep the color of the wood as best I could on the screw holes.

Mine is a dark stain so it wasn't noticeable really, when I put a few coats of poly on it they disappeared.

Wood fillers don't absorb stains as well or evenly as actual wood. You will have the best results with a stainable wood filler. Plastic Wood claims to be stainable but you will never get an exact match, instead use the Minwax stainable wood filler. When the filler is hardened, you can take a utility knife and lightly carve a "woodgrain" into it which sometimes helps it blend better. As mentioned earlier, darker stains will hide this better than lighter colored stains.

Some oil based polyurethanes add a slight yellow or will yellow over time. Spar urethanes will have the most yellowing effect.

I didn't have any big clamps. So I just use a few screws to tighten it down nice and tight. And after the glue dry. I took the screws out and plugged the holes

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.