How to stop breaking windshields.

Jeffdachef
5,000+ posts

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
So besides a stripper pole, whats the best ways to brace your windshield from breaking without being moved into an extreme class? Not going to finals but definitely want to go into state/regionals and they are pretty lenient on checking the head liner.

I already got 1/2 plywood underneath but its not cutting it.

I also called around and no windshield shop has anything thicker than stock for my vehicle around my area... gonna keep looking around for some shop that carries either 1/2 to 3/4 to 1" glass.

Big point is the Seal, it rips apart almost instantly I need some ideas on how to keep that sh*t together. Because its basically the seal that broke apart causing the windshield to vibrate and flex against the harder parts of the vehicle the causes the top shatter.

So besides a stripper pole, whats the best ways to brace your windshield from breaking without being moved into an extreme class? Not going to finals but definitely want to go into state/regionals and they are pretty lenient on checking the head liner.
I already got 1/2 plywood underneath but its not cutting it.

I also called around and no windshield shop has anything thicker than stock for my vehicle around my area... gonna keep looking around for some shop that carries 3/4 to 1" glass.

Big point is the Seal, it rips apart almost instantly I need some ideas on how to keep that sh*t together.
The seal ? Its not glued in with urethane glue ? How old was that windshield ? what year is your van ? I knocked mine loose with a lot less than you got lol ! It came loose as soon as I started beating on it - rain pouring in so I had a new windshield put in and kinda know the glass guy and he did alot of prep work prior to gluing the new one in and its still holding tight. I think glue gets old and brittle and comes apart. Now my truck roof is alot stronger than yours, yours is flexing like a honda accord roof and may just be moving to much for glue to hold and well glass dont flex well. Did you check GP audio, they say they sell SPL glass ?

The seal ? Its not glued in with urethane glue ? How old was that windshield ? what year is your van ? I knocked mine loose with a lot less than you got lol ! It came loose as soon as I started beating on it - rain pouring in so I had a new windshield put in and kinda know the glass guy and he did alot of prep work prior to gluing the new one in and its still holding tight. I think glue gets old and brittle and comes apart. Now my truck roof is alot stronger than yours, yours is flexing like a honda accord roof and may just be moving to much for glue to hold and well glass dont flex well. Did you check GP audio, they say they sell SPL glass ?
2009 the seal was still in great condition, It handled lots of flex fine just never hit 26 hz this hard before. It just turned to pure jello even with plywood on the roof.

The GP glass is not an option. That costs almost my whole system combined lol.

2009 the seal was still in great condition, It handled lots of flex fine just never hit 26 hz this hard before. It just turned to pure jello even with plywood on the roof.
The GP glass is not an option. That costs almost my whole system combined lol.
Ya I see that lol crazy flex !

Or if that don't work could you weld in a sub frame to stiffen it up some ? Or you are not allowed to do that rules wise ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or if that don't work could you weld in a sub frame to stiffen it up some ? Or you are not allowed to do that rules wise ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
its against the rules if they check but they only check at finals. I dont plan on driving half way around the country just to pay to meter.. I'll just get my name up for a couple official runs and thats it just to have it on file. The rest of my career will be demos.

was thinking of welding stuff or fiberglassing everything includiing the seal point as well.

if your roof is braced its going to stop hte roof from flexing at that point the glass is only going to crack close to its res frequency if the center of the roof is weakest brace it. looks lik the glass is breaking because the rood isn't rigid..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.