What speaker wire to use?

gud

CarAudio.com Recruit
Florida
Ordered my new sub and enclosure and am having some trouble figuring out what speaker wire to use. 16 gauge is acceptable for most installations, correct? so i'd be safe with this bundle?

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-16-Gauge-Speaker-Wire-Feet/dp/B01FJAA3ZW/ref=pd_sbs_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B006LW0W5Y&pd_rd_r=Y4RR2GKN758PRGQBGY1B&pd_rd_w=KOZ86&pd_rd_wg=8UXws&refRID=Y4RR2GKN758PRGQBGY1B&th=1

All I'm trying to do is connect my sub terminals to the enclosure itself. the rest outside the enclosure I have covered. but it'd be nice to know in the future and have extra on hand for future projects

excuse the stupid question //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif thanks guys

Ordered my new sub and enclosure and am having some trouble figuring out what speaker wire to use. 16 gauge is acceptable for most installations, correct? so i'd be safe with this bundle?https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-16-Gauge-Speaker-Wire-Feet/dp/B01FJAA3ZW/ref=pd_sbs_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B006LW0W5Y&pd_rd_r=Y4RR2GKN758PRGQBGY1B&pd_rd_w=KOZ86&pd_rd_wg=8UXws&refRID=Y4RR2GKN758PRGQBGY1B&th=1

All I'm trying to do is connect my sub terminals to the enclosure itself. the rest outside the enclosure I have covered. but it'd be nice to know in the future and have extra on hand for future projects

excuse the stupid question //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif thanks guys
LINK not working.. i just got 15ft 12ga from soundqubed pretty cheap but honestly id just get decent looking 12ga on ebay if u ain't in rush if so look at amazon.. to answer your question 16ga is fine unless u running 1500rms or more or wire is gonna be more than 10 ft long https://www.amazon.com/feet-Gauge-Speaker-Car-Audio/dp/B016NJ51T6/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490759187&sr=1-15&keywords=50+ft+12+ga+speaker+wire

Last edited by a moderator:
LINK not working.. i just got 15ft 12ga from soundqubed pretty cheap but honestly id just get decent looking 12ga on ebay if u ain't in rush if so look at amazon.. to answer your question 16ga is fine unless u running 1500rms or more or wire is gonna be more than 10 ft long https://www.amazon.com/feet-Gauge-Speaker-Car-Audio/dp/B016NJ51T6/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490759187&sr=1-15&keywords=50+ft+12+ga+speaker+wire
my sub is 750w rms so no worries there. The link is just an amazonbasics 16 gauge speaker wire.

do you recommend using banana plugs for connecting the wire to the sub itself?

Is it an sa12? Or equivelant?

16 even 14 gauge is fine. Hell some guys use 12 for running under 1000 watts but to me, your not gonna notice a difference. Neither will they.

Just make sure it's OFC and your fine.

my sub is 750w rms so no worries there. The link is just an amazonbasics 16 gauge speaker wire.
do you recommend using banana plugs for connecting the wire to the sub itself?
what kinda sub so u have? no u never want any connector on sub unless u have to use a plug for cheaper subs unless u have had some crazy $1000 sub with 5000 rms in a competition i guess some peeps may do that idk..., i say that because some companys don't even like terminals on sub boxes, it's really better to have wire straight from amp to sub (as little between amp and sub as u can),. drill small hole in back or side of box (not where a port is) once sub is wired and u test it a few mins pull out any excess wire (out of box leave a little don't pull hard) and seal tiny hole with caulk, my last box was like that for 8 yrs and still is in another guys truck it has 12ga in it too..

Ordered my new sub and enclosure and am having some trouble figuring out what speaker wire to use. 16 gauge is acceptable for most installations, correct? so i'd be safe with this bundle?https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-16-Gauge-Speaker-Wire-Feet/dp/B01FJAA3ZW/ref=pd_sbs_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B006LW0W5Y&pd_rd_r=Y4RR2GKN758PRGQBGY1B&pd_rd_w=KOZ86&pd_rd_wg=8UXws&refRID=Y4RR2GKN758PRGQBGY1B&th=1

Heavier gage wire is always better, I'd think. Up to ridiculous limits of course. I have 8AWG running from amp to sub, and 12AWG for my other speakers. Works wonderfully to!

John Kuthe...

Heavier gage wire is always better, I'd think. Up to ridiculous limits of course. I have 8AWG running from amp to sub, and 12AWG for my other speakers. Works wonderfully to!
John Kuthe...
That's overkill....for running a shallow mount sub and a 500 watt amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.