couple issues I cant figure out.

stay_high
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Florida
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/pissed.gif.9f665f96bc89e98e708dabd4580bb591.gif

Ok heres my setup:

HU- Pioneer DEH 80PRS

Front stage- 2 Silver flute 6.5's mids, 2 LPG Tweets (running active from HU. mids HPF @ 150hz, LPF @ 6khz, Tweets HPF @ 6k hz )

Front stage amp- PPi 900.4

subs- 2 SSA GCONS 12's in a 6 cube box tuned at 30 hz. wired @ 1ohm getting 400 rms each

sub amp- American Bass PH1600MD

0 gauge wire, I do NOT have big 3/alternator

gain on amps is between quarter and half way up subs and front stage hit max volume before distortion when HU volume is 3/4. No bass boost/xovers are set on the amp.

Now to my problems, Ill start with the sub stage. hard to explain but when they hit any type of lower note (like anything under 32 hz) the subs start to sputter if that's a word lol. for example if I just played a 30hz test tone the subs would start to play it and then start going BUMP BUMP BUMP and flexing harder at random times. My headlights dim in and out along with the subs doing this. This will continue until the amp gets hot and goes into protect. Higher bass notes can be played all day but the second that the subs have to play a lower note they start doing this. this happens with subs turned about half way up so it not like im over working the amp. Its almost like the amp isn't getting enough power but my system is only about 1kRMS total so this shouldn't be the case.

ground wire is short and grounded to sanded down bare metal chassis of the car. Its impossible to fit the 0 gauge wire into the small terminals on the amp so I had to cut off more than half the wire to get it to fit into the terminal. I have tried a different ground and different RCA's as well. Possible that the amp is messed up? (Had it for over 4 years).

My other problem has to do with my 6.5 mid in the right door. For some reason on higher notes it starts breaking up and almost sounds like its blown, only on certain notes tho, other times it sounds fine. Also, at random times while driving it will cut out and will come back on when I move the HU around a lil with my hand. I have even had 1 silver flute blow out in the right door. The left one never cuts out and sounds fine all the time. Have tried running different speaker wire and RCA's and the problem still exists. Have also tried running the speaker on a different channel. Is the Pioneer HU messed up considering the speaker will cut back in when I move the HU around? Its also worth noting that the HU acts up all the time by showing a blank screen and will return to normal once I move it. I bought the unit new about a year ago.

Well thats all my lifes problems lol. I have a decent system that would sound AMAZING if these 2 issues did not exist. Its really aggravating when a speaker in the passenger side is cutting out at random times and the subs cant play lows..... I dont want to blow out another door speaker or subs considering my Fi q stopped working (thought it was because I abused and over powered it for years but now im not sure) Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks for reading.

Front Stage - You have the LPF/HPF way to high on the Silver Flutes IMHO. I'd start at like 80/3K IMHO.

Sub Stage - Do you have a SSF? What is it set to?

I'd also check the wiring on the harness for the HU. Sounds like something is up.

subs- 2 SSA GCONS 12's in a 6 cube box tuned at 30 hz. wired @ 1ohm getting 400 rms each

sub amp- American Bass PH1600MD

0 gauge wire, I do NOT have big 3/alternator

Now to my problems, Ill start with the sub stage. hard to explain but when they hit any type of lower note (like anything under 32 hz)
Are you certain the notes are 32 Hz or lower?

800W RMS should not require 0 gauge wire, but it can't hurt to be oversized. PH1600MD does not have a subsonic filter, but with the enclosure Fb of 30 Hz it's unlikely you'd really need it.

What are the dimensions of the port?

Front Stage - You have the LPF/HPF way to high on the Silver Flutes IMHO. I'd start at like 80/3K IMHO.
Sub Stage - Do you have a SSF? What is it set to?

I'd also check the wiring on the harness for the HU. Sounds like something is up.
Tru I just figured Id set the HPF high just to be safe at loud volumes, and I cant hear a difference with LPF settings.

I just had the HU pulled out and all the wires are secure, I played music while moving them around to see if the speaker would cut out and it didnt, the only time it cuts out is when I move the head unit its self around, not the wiring.

What is a SSF?

Are you certain the notes are 32 Hz or lower?
800W RMS should not require 0 gauge wire, but it can't hurt to be oversized. PH1600MD does not have a subsonic filter, but with the enclosure Fb of 30 Hz it's unlikely you'd really need it.

What are the dimensions of the port?
Im fairly certain, the subs can play loud at higher and some lower notes until it a real low frequency comes that gets the subs moving a lot then they just **** out on me. Subs face up with a big port facing back Will get back with port diensions

Im fairly certain, the subs can play loud at higher and some lower notes until it a real low frequency comes that gets the subs moving a lot then they just **** out on me. Subs face up with a big port facing back Will get back with port diensions
I have a hunch that there may be a couple of factors regarding the enclosure that are causing the problem.

1) The volume is too large.

2) The port volume is too large.

This depends on whether your bass in the music is actually playing well below 30 Hz. The reason I say this is because the port, should it be of an appropriate size for the power applied, should be minimizing cone movement at Fb(30 Hz). The excursion will gradually increase as you move away from 30 Hz in a range from 1/2 octave below to 1/2 octave above Fb.

The math for the lower range is 0.75 x Fb. The upper end of this range is Fb x 1.5. That is 22.5 Hz through 45 Hz for the port to make most of the sound and to keep the subwoofer excursion well under control. Above ~45 Hz the sub acts like it's in a sealed enclosure. Excursion rapidly increases below the upper 20s range, although with only 800W RMS split between two subs that really should not be a problem with normal music. Most music has little or no information below 30 Hz.

Port is 4.5 inches wide and 18.5 inches tall. The amp does have a sub sonic filter tho, I turned it bit past halfway it goes from 0hz-40hz so I think I have it a little past 25hz and it has helped. I can play music loud now that its not able to play the lower notes.

However, I shouldn't have to use the subsonic filter right? I dont understand why im not able to play under 30hz even at half volume without the subs freaking out like that? Could it be a voltage issue or something not allowing the amp enough power?

Why do you wanna play songs under 30Hz? Decaf?

My enclosure is also tuned to 30Hz....and I can play a few songs that are that low but I can't hear it, mainly feel everything vibrating. You wanna tune lower if you wanna hear songs that play below 30Hz.

So I just went out and turned off subsonic filter and played some test tonez to see where it starts shitting out and it did it at 30 hz. At 30hz in plays until volume is a bit past halfway then the subs start making the POP POP POP noise and flex each time they do it. I dont get it, I used to play the same songs and this wouldn't happen. I used to abuse the amp to be honest, had it in a spot with no airflow and I would always play it loud until it got hot as hell and went into protect. Ive since moved it to a better spot in the car but maybe I did damage to it?

Thank you for the replies !

Why do you wanna play songs under 30Hz? Decaf?
My enclosure is also tuned to 30Hz....and I can play a few songs that are that low but I can't hear it, mainly feel everything vibrating. You wanna tune lower if you wanna hear songs that play below 30Hz.
This is happening even at 30hz. Thought the problems were happening under 30hz until I went out just now and listened to some 30hz test tones lol.

Port is 4.5 inches wide and 18.5 inches tall.
However, I shouldn't have to use the subsonic filter right? I dont understand why im not able to play under 30hz even at half volume without the subs freaking out like that? Could it be a voltage issue or something not allowing the amp enough power?
That is way too much port area for this level of power. You basically have a giant leak in the box.

whats the specs on the box? i mean dimensions.

i highly suggest you get another amps for your highs. i think it sounds like poop. ESP to any real high-end amp. night and day.

third i sugget you try to figure out if the coil is rubbing of its a resonance issue.. no one can tell you without listening..

whats the specs on the box? i mean dimensions. i highly suggest you get another amps for your highs. i think it sounds like poop. ESP to any real high-end amp. night and day.

third i sugget you try to figure out if the coil is rubbing of its a resonance issue.. no one can tell you without listening..
By ESP you mean using a separate active crossover instead of the active crossovers built into the 80PRS right? Wish you guys could just hear the **** thing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Awesome lol. how much power do you think is appropriate for that port?
I don't know, I don't deal in applications that would require 80+ sq. inches of port. I was looking at this in WinISD Pro with a different 750W RMS subwoofer I have in my database and I entered a port that is 1.25" W x 11" H x 22.4" L. That is a normal sized port for a single 12" on 400W, and it comes out to a tuning frequency of 30.66 Hz.

Are you totally sure the port is 4.5" x 18.5" at the outside of the box? That's wide enough to put your fist into it plus it's half the height of a yard stick.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.