2002 Camry basic SQ - KHA's wife

Participant count
  • Participant list

keep_hope_alive
Premium Member

Acoustics Engineer
My wife has driven Camrys most of her adult life. 1994, 1998, and currently a 2002. Her dad bought one every 4 years and it was handed down to her each time. The 1998 got a system that consisted of an Alpine HU (deadhead), xtant 403a, Massive Audio CK6 (1999 version), and a Vega124 sub.

camryxtant.jpg

camrydoor.jpg

the 2002 has had an Alpine HU of some sort, it changes a lot because i use her car as a home for temporary head units that i'm not running.

Stock 6x9's were replaced with Eclipse point source 5x7's that used a hacked-up factory mount (you'll see below). stock 2" stayed in the dash. amps were added but it never lived up to my standards. time to change that.

i delayed a more involved system because of the head bolt problem i knew would surface. i've recently fixed that:

IMG_7690.jpg

IMG_7710.jpg

IMG_7712.jpg

Now it has an Alpine CDE-HD149BT at the front that will stay.

Amp is a Polk PA660 (and will add to that soon). Amp is ok for SQ, i have better ones sitting on shelves.

Speakers are MB Quart, older German-made components up front and coax rear.

Sub undecided but will be IB 12", low power.

Last night i took to the front doors. we'll start there.

stock with the Eclipse

2002CamryFrontSpeakers006.jpg

factory mount mates perfectly with the door and is odd enough i reused it. cut 3/4" MDF (quickly with a jig saw because it was just filler)

2002CamryFrontSpeakers008.jpg

2002CamryFrontSpeakers007.jpg

BXT II

2002CamryFrontSpeakers009.jpg

2002CamryFrontSpeakers010.jpg

The doors in my Volvo are pretty similar to these doors, in the sense that there is no way to access the inside of the outer metal panel (I hope that makes sense) through holes in the inner metal panel. My doors actually have no holes in the them to even be able to see the outer metal panel. Even behind my woofers, there is a piece of metal that sits between the two metal panels which leaves just enough space for the speaker's magnet.

For this reason, there is virtually no airspace for my woofers, and therefore my mid bass suffers. I have some pics on my profile of my doors.

I'm really at a loss for any ideas that can help me here. Even making speaker brackets wouldn't help, because there would still not be any airspace.

Do you have any ideas of how I can improve my mid bass response?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The doors in my Volvo are pretty similar to these doors, in the sense that there is no way to access the inside of the outer metal panel (I hope that makes sense) through holes in the inner metal panel. My doors actually have no holes in the them to even be able to see the outer metal panel. Even behind my woofers, there is a piece of metal that sits between the two metal panels which leaves just enough space for the speaker's magnet.
For this reason, there is virtually no airspace for my woofers, and therefore my mid bass suffers. I have some pics on my profile of my doors.

I'm really at a loss for any ideas that can help me here. Even making speaker brackets wouldn't help, because there would still not be any airspace.

Do you have any ideas of how I can improve my mid bass response?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Door speakers - Imgur

i replied to your thread on the subject

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/enclosure-design-construction-help/597424-midbass-problem-doors-culprit.html

i would cut out the metal behind the speaker so the speakers saw the entire airspace... if i wanted that car. in reality, i wouldn't put a system in that car. i'd get another car.

i do evaluate a vehicle for an SQ sound system before i buy it. no door access = no buy car. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Accords and Camrys are excellent platforms for a sound system, are easy to work on, reliable and affordable, and hold value.

Hey how do you like the tweeters in the dash? I have that same camry and I move the tweeters higher on my a pillars and I enjoy them much more. Will you add subs to this build?

they work fine in the dash. they are behind the factory grills which pretty much direct sound up and not back - so i only hear reflections.

i've done plenty of a-pillar tweeter builds using both pods and spheres. some tweeters are better suited than others.

This install still surprises me with how much midbass the front doors have. It sounds very good without a sub and doesn't need a sub. The soundstage is pretty good for stock locations, the Alpine HU gives enough tuning flexibility to let me dial in a good stage.

I still need to replace the rears with the matching MB Quart 6.5" coax. The carpet is out currently and I may run the components active and add another 4 channel that can be used with an IB 12" sub for the lower octave.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.