Wiring for Subwoofers & Amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

AALLDAY28

I bought 2 Pioneer subwoofers, a Pioneer Amp & 2 Pioneer speakers that go in the car door. But anyways I know nothing about these FYI.

I need wiring for these though.

I was looking online for a amp wiring kit. They have 4, 8, & 12 gauge kits. How do I know which one to get?

Do these kits normally come with wiring for my subwoofer for my subwoofers & the ones in the door?

Like what about this one does it have everything I'll need?

New Boss B8GK 8 Gauge GA Car Amplifier Amp Complete Kit Wiring Installation RCA | eBay

Thanks in advance

A normal amp kit comes with the power wire, ground wire, fuse for power, rca cables, a small amount of speaker wire, and various connectors and other small parts. With that being said, read what the manufacturer recommends for power wire size. You didn't say how many watts that amp is so I have no idea on what to recommend. I can recommend that you NOT buy the kit that you linked because it is complete garbage. The reason is that the wire will not be true to the size as stated.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/amp-installation-kits/sp/kca-complete-8-gauge-amplifier-installation-kit/ This one would probably be fine for you if 8 AWG is what is recommended assuming it's a low power amp.

As for the door speakers, you should probably run them off the head unit and therefore won't need additional wiring for them. You can either cut the factory wiring and splice those in or buy an adapter for your particular car that is a pigtail that you plug in to the factory connector and has wires for you to connect to the speakers.

With all that being said, I recommend that you find someone around you that knows more than you do to assist you or be willing to pay a shop to do the work. Not knowing what you are doing when you go to install the equipment is a good way to ruin what you have.

Here's what I bought.

Brand New Pioneer Package Deal Car Audio 2 Channel Amp Amplifier 2 Sub Woofer | eBay

Pioneer TS 1644R TS1644R 500W 6 1 2" 2 Way G Coaxial 6 5" Car Stereo Speakers 884938143257 | eBay

Technical Details:

2 x 10-inch Single 4-ohm Car Audio Subwoofers

Model: TS-W254R8 KFC Series

PEAK Power Handling: 2200 watts total / 1100 watts each

RMS Power Handling: 500 watts total / 250 watts each

Impedance: 4-Ohms

Frequency response: 20-220Hz

Sensitivity: 93dB

IMPP Composite seamless cone woofer for a rich bass sound

Urethane surround for generous amounts of excursion

Extended pole yoke improves linearity during long excursion

Mounting depth: 5"

Cutout dimension: 9-1/4"

Car Amplifier Class A/B 2-Channel Car Amplifier

Model: GM-3500T

RMS Power Rating (14.4V):

60 watts x 2 channel at 4 ohms

85 watts x 2 channel at 2 ohms

185 watts x 1 channel at 4 ohms (Bridged)

Max power output: 400 watts x 1 channel

Frequency response: 10-70,000Hz

Fixed low-pass filter (80 Hz, 12dB/octave)

CEA-2006 Compliant Amplifier

MOSFET power supply

LED power indicator

2/1 Channel operation

2-Channel speaker-level inputs

Heavy duty heatsink and a sub-heatsink for maximum heat dissipation

Dimension: 8-5/8"L x 11-3/8"W x 2-1/2"H

A normal amp kit comes with the power wire, ground wire, fuse for power, rca cables, a small amount of speaker wire, and various connectors and other small parts. With that being said, read what the manufacturer recommends for power wire size. You didn't say how many watts that amp is so I have no idea on what to recommend. I can recommend that you NOT buy the kit that you linked because it is complete garbage. The reason is that the wire will not be true to the size as stated.
KCA Complete 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit - Merchandise This one would probably be fine for you if 8 AWG is what is recommended assuming it's a low power amp.

As for the door speakers, you should probably run them off the head unit and therefore won't need additional wiring for them. You can either cut the factory wiring and splice those in or buy an adapter for your particular car that is a pigtail that you plug in to the factory connector and has wires for you to connect to the speakers.

With all that being said, I recommend that you find someone around you that knows more than you do to assist you or be willing to pay a shop to do the work. Not knowing what you are doing when you go to install the equipment is a good way to ruin what you have.

ya what he said ^^^^

that amp only puts out 185 rms @ 1ch . if it does that.

so i say that kit will work.

I can't wrap my head around why they boxed those two subs with that amp. The amp puts out 185W RMS, the subs can take 250 - each. So that amp wouldn't fully push even one of them.

Personally I'd build a box for just one of them. Two subs with half the power is about the same output as one fully powered, with half the required space. Alternatively, you can build a box for the pair and if you want more power down the road just upgrade the amp and use that one for speakers or sell it.

As far as the wiring kit goes, you could probably get away with the Boss kit, but Boss is on the low tier of CA equipment. Spend just a few bucks more (literally) on the 8 gauge KCA (CCA) kit from Knukonceptz accuab listed above. It'll come with higher quality gear that's easier to run. Alternatively, you could spend a bit more on the OFC 8 Gauge kit, so if you plan on sticking a 500W RMS amp on the pair down the road the adequate wiring will already be in place.

Good luck.

Edit: I got to thinking about this thread again, twelve hours later. The subs are 4 ohms each. That means in stereo mode - the only way you can hook up both subs to the amp because you can't bridge for 2 ohms, they'll get a paltry 60W RMS each, or 120W RMS total. If you hook up just one of them and bridge it the sub will receive 185W RMS. So as dumb as it sounds, hooking up only one of the subs to this amp should be 50% louder than running both of them and it'll only take up half the space.

Another option: use the amp for the coaxial speakers. You'll have the set the gain carefully using an multimeter because it puts out more power than the speakers can handle at full tilt (at least on paper). Then get a larger amp for the subs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.