High Pitch Whine From Amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

oTurtlez
10+ year member

Ok, so I bought a used Crescendo BC3500D and had it shipped up to me when I was at school. A friend had a variable voltage power supply so I checked to see if the amp was working while up there and everything worked fine. I then took the amp home with me for this Thanksgiving break, hooked it up in my car, and the second it gets power, the amp gives off a constant high pitch whine. It sounds like coil whine, if you've ever dealt with that in a PC before. It doesn't matter what the gain is set at, what's connected, or any settings on the amp. My gut is saying my ground is the issue, simply because it's a seat bolt. There is nowhere I can ground my amplifier in my trunk other than that bolt due to the way the SUV was designed back there, so I'm stuck on that ground. Do you guys think that could be the culprit? Any insight would be great, thanks!

voltage pwr supply may have damaged it....... gut pics? does it smell burnt? voltage?
Will opening her up void any warranty? And that powersupply is clean power. We've got it running my buds SAZ-1000 and it's been doing just fine. No smell, 14.2 was what I was getting at the amp last time I measured.

Same exact thing on my BC2000. Grounded on the battery. I thought it was from having the RCAs and power wire too close together, but it even whined if the RCAs were unplugged. Doesn't smell, guts look fine.

Has yours done it from the gate? I didn't notice mine until about a week of use.
Mine has been used for about a year so I don't know. It worked fine one the power supply, no noises there, which is why I'm betting on the ground being my issue, but with yours being battery grounded, that's weird.

Mine has been used for about a year so I don't know. It worked fine one the power supply, no noises there, which is why I'm betting on the ground being my issue, but with yours being battery grounded, that's weird.
Let us know your results when you switch your ground...this interests me.

The problem with my trunk is its coated in this rubberized material and the only bolt that was visible and available to tap onto was that seat bolt. I can try to go directly to the battery

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.