Concert type bass in car?

sjv13
10+ year member

StayStrange
I was at an outdoor music festival and the bass there was amazing. They also had a pavilion where they had dubstep for like 5 hours straight (likes of Borgore, Dirtyphonics, and Bassnectar) and it was insanity. I experienced the most bass I had ever felt/heard before. It was the type that hit you hard in the chest. I was just wondering why it's so hard for people to get that in a car, a wayyy smaller area. Do they just have insane amounts of watts in their subs at these dubstep concerts or what? Do I just need more power to get that in my car? Or is there some other reason that they are able to create that at a concert that wont work in a car? Thanks for any info you can provide!

PA systems rely on very efficient speakers, lots of cone area, and huge cabinets. It isn't hard to get loud in a car, it just takes money.
Thanks for a real reply //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I get the feeling the cone area and cabinets have a lot to do with it. Guess I just gotta keep saving up. Thanks!

Thanks for a real reply //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I get the feeling the cone area and cabinets have a lot to do with it. Guess I just gotta keep saving up. Thanks!
Those live events have easily 50,000 to 200,000 watts depending on the event and how big it is.
Both of you are absolutely right. I worked at a place that did club sound and lighting once and I know exactly the type of bass the op is talking about //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif That extremely tight bass thats not really low but hits insanely hard. The drivers play a big difference in that too....

Also, why you dont hear that kind of bass in car audio nowdays is because everyone is concentrating on flexing, hair tricks and all kinds of other tricks and most of all.... HOW LOW CAN YOU GO! Haha.

Come listen to my van, I have a rolling concert. Not all of us are into stupid -3Hz crap. I built my system to play real music at very loud volumes.

Doing that out of a trunk isn't going to happen though...

Come listen to my van, I have a rolling concert. Not all of us are into stupid -3Hz crap. I built my system to play real music at very loud volumes.
Doing that out of a trunk isn't going to happen though...
It'll happen, just isn't cheap.

home theater systems require less power to get louder....vehicles have to compete with roadnoise, outside noise. Generally speaking it takes a lot more power to get a system to be as loud as one in a home setting....and a home will still sound better sq wise, less peaks and valleys

home theater systems require less power to get louder....vehicles have to compete with roadnoise, outside noise. Generally speaking it takes a lot more power to get a system to be as loud as one in a home setting....and a home will still sound better sq wise, less peaks and valleys
The question was about large venue and outdoor audio, aka Pro Audio. You know, where they have tens of speaker cabinets lined up, stacked up, and hanging.

same concept?? and yeah they have large cabinets, sometimes large horns. large speakers, lots of power. I mean theres only so much airspace in a vehicle you can only put so many subs in and still be getting louder.

1) Much more efficient drivers

2) Much more efficient cabinet designs (usually tapped horns)

3) Much more power

4) Use-able output down only to 40hz-50hz (as opposed to 20-30hz in cars). You can make your system much louder if you're willing to sacrifice that bottom octave.

@trumpet; @mlstrass; @momofx;
So my question for all of you guys who really seem to know what you're talking about is.... what kind of setup would I need to get that extremely tight bass? Not the floppy fish bass. Sealed box or what? Obviously I'll need more power. I plan on redoing my entire substage with better equipment sometime.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.