Whats up with my inline fuse?

ekun

AL
I'm running an ample 242x amp and when I powered it on I checked my connections and noticed the fuse was sligtly bent. After a few days I seen the plastic around the fuse was cracked. Its an 80 amp fuse. the amp has two 30a fuses and they are fine. Any ideas?

Im using jl audio 4g OFC 20 feet and the fuse is a sorche or whatever. When you say better fuse are you talking about a higher amp fuse or brand? What do you recommend? its 600rms 2ch ample audio and Ive got it wired to do 2x6ohm load

usually if the fuse holder breaks or melts its because there was to much voltage running thru it ,if the wire is jl 4 gauge ofc then the wire is fine ,or should be ,replace the fuse holder and the fuse with a midi holder and fuse should be fine then

most of the melting i see is from loose connections which cause higher resistance which causes heat from power dissipation.

or cheap fuse holders and cheap fuses with cheap plastic.

if a fuse is physically damaged, replace it.

if a fuse holder is physically damaged, replace it.

Thanks for the replies. I will look into a more high quality fuse and see if this solves the issue. I've checked connections and they are soild tight and clean.

Thanks for the replies. I will look into a more high quality fuse and see if this solves the issue. I've checked connections and they are soild tight and clean.
if connections are tight and clean then there is an issue either fuse and holder ,or something else .need to find out what cause the meltdown first, or next time it may catch fire .

usually if the fuse holder breaks or melts its because there was to much voltage running thru it ,if the wire is jl 4 gauge ofc then the wire is fine ,or should be ,replace the fuse holder and the fuse with a midi holder and fuse should be fine then

You mean current, not voltage in this case.

Current causes heat build-up.

Don't look into a "quality" fuse per se, rather, a decent fuse holder. I bet connections or contact patches inside the fuse holder not being all too secure caused for enough heat to do so. Open up the fuse holder and make sure there is solid contact between the fuse itself and the pads it is usually bolted down on to. Unless it is an AGU fuse holder, where you could sort of push together the contacts inside of it to hug or hold tightly the fuse. If a BUSS fuse, then eh, just toss it and get an ANL or mini ANL fuse holder and don't look back. If a BUSS and you want to really salvage it, perhaps you could pull on the small pieces of spring type metal that hug the fuse's legs for better contact. Also make sure the cable(s) going into the fuse holder are secure inside the connections if a set screw is utilized in yours.

I went back to the audio shop where I bought all my eletrical stuff and explained to them what happened to my fuse and although i was the one who did the install and not them, they were nice enough to discount me on a Memphis 17-ANLFB and fuse. Everything is working great and i can only assume it was the cheap holder i bought.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.