Unsure what is wrong with my car.

xmakeafistx
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Kenosha, WI
Ever since I have installed my new sub with LESS power from the amp I was using previously, My car has not been starting up every now and then. I have tested both the battery and alternator they are both fine. I'm floating at a 12.6v and I'm sure that's good, so I really cannot figure out what the problem could be. It seems to start pretty easily after I give it a jump. What do?

Try cleaning your battery connectors whether they look clean or not.Could be a loose connection there also.If it ran good,and always started I would look there first.

Checked for loose connection nothing of the sorts, but I shall try cleaning the connectors. Sorry if this is nothing close to the case, but could the amp be draining out my battery while its off?

could be bad capacitors in the power supply section , if they wont hold a charge they will just slowly **** small amounts of power even when the amp is off which will cause your discharge issues.

Ever since I have installed my new sub with LESS power from the amp I was using previously
Just to clarify, did you put in a new amp and sub or just a new sub?

And did the problem start immediately after the change was made?

Sounds like you may have a bad connection on your battery terminal if its showing good voltage but not starting good. What does it show at the battery when you try to crank it? If it drops real low you have a dead or bad battery. 12v is a very picky electrical setup. If everything isnt perfect, youll rip your hair out trying to figure out why current isnt flowing.

With the lead acid batteries everything is corrosion prone due to the gases and different metals mixing. Pick up some di-electric or "tune up" grease from the auto parts store and put it around your terminals and wire connections at the battery. Also check your ground as someone else said.

When you turn the key. does it just click, or does it try to start, but seem as if there isn't enough juice? If it just clicks, thank either your starter solenoid is going out, or the starter itself. What kind of vehicle is it?

Yesterday it was just making the clicking noise and not even hinting that it would start up, today it has been doing both, This morning it made the clicking only, then after a few tries it started making the sound like its trying, and it eventually turns on. Either way its bothering the hell out of me, and i'm extremely confused. Process of elimination tomorrow, I need to develop a checklist of sorts. Checking all the grounds first.

Also to answer a few questions, My amp remains off when my car is off, I am using the same amp.

& buck, what do you mean by bad capacitors? expand on that I think I get what you are saying just want to clarify.

Clicking means there is some power in the batt but it's nearly dead... either it's not charging (should be 14+ volts while running) or something is not powering down with the car and draining the batt. If you run it for awhile and stop does it start right back up but overnight it has trouble starting? Is it random? Does it do it all the time?

U gotta start breaking down your problem.

Unplug your amp power wire. Drive normally for a day or two. If that doesn't help, we can rule out your audio equipment being the culprit and then if it isn't the amp you have a whole new world of **** to test starting with battery/connections, then alternator, then starter.

So step 1 see if your amp is what's causing this. If so, one time my ground came loose and everytime I would Wang my sub then turn off my car I couldn't start it. Simple retighetening and sanding the ground spot fixed it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.