Obsession with LOW OHM LOADS

JEFFakaMAX
10+ year member

Noise Complaint Recipient
Is it just a **** measuring competition to claim you have a bazillion watts or is the general consensus that you can really "hear" the difference between a (4ohm & 2 ohm load) or (1ohm to .5ohm)?

Is the loss of sound quality and cooking your amp really worth it for daily use? Competition, I can understand that. Every bit counts.

Before the flaming starts, this has been my "recommended reading" to the novices I encounter that either have no clue and want to learn, or think they know it all and want to argue.

This is the latest version of ZED's manual. While I am not trying to endorse their products, the first several pages of the manual are filled with useful information that may clarify things for those just cutting their teeth.

http://www.zedaudiocorp.com/pdfs/ZedManual-2011.pdf

Page 7 addresses the low ohm load issue.

Stephen Mantz is to car audio as Bob Carver is to home audio. (My opinion)

Is it just a **** measuring competition to claim you have a bazillion watts or is the general consensus that you can really "hear" the difference between a (4ohm & 2 ohm load) or (1ohm to .5ohm)?
Is the loss of sound quality and cooking your amp really worth it for daily use? Competition, I can understand that. Every bit counts.

Before the flaming starts, this has been my "recommended reading" to the novices I encounter that either have no clue and want to learn, or think they know it all and want to argue.

This is the latest version of ZED's manual. While I am not trying to endorse their products, the first several pages of the manual are filled with useful information that may clarify things for those just cutting their teeth.

http://www.zedaudiocorp.com/pdfs/ZedManual-2011.pdf

Page 7 addresses the low ohm load issue.

Stephen Mantz is to car audio as Bob Carver is to home audio. (My opinion)

what about robert zeff

Not true, unless you're not willing to buy used.
no way youre gonna find 1000 @ 4 thats cheaper than 1000 @ 1. and in the chances that you do find it, it's most likely a 4 channel that does 500 x 2 @ 4, and even then that's a class A/B which isn't nearly as efficient as a class D

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Im not sure why this topic keeps coming up. Who got to arbitrarily decide that all amplifiers sound bad and over heat below 4ohms?
it's probably a placebo for some poeple

Find me 4k at 4ohm thats efficient atleast 75% for under 1000. I can get 4k at 1ohm 79% efficient at that load new for 750

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.