Acura TL IB install featuring Obsidian and Sundown

Electrodynamic
10+ year member

Knows nothing
These initial first posts will be fairly image intensive with a link to a thread on the Acurazine forum that offers great walk-through advice with pictures and diagrams from a user and the Acura manual on how to take the panels off, etc.

Having said that, last week I installed a single Obsidian Audio 12" subwoofer and a Sundown Audio 1200D in a 2005 Acura TL. Here are the pics, links, and descriptions:

First thing to read is the walk-through on the Acurazine forum located here, http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580314. It is a great thread and is extremely helpful if you have a TL!

I purchased a 4 awg Stinger HPM wiring kit, Stinger RCA's, and a Stinger LOC (Line Output Converter). IMO it is imperative to choose a good looking and functioning wiring kit. The HPM series kit has many features that most people overlook such as a protective covering on the power wire that blends into your engine bay and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb!

Wiringkitweb.jpg

Wiringkitweb2.jpg

WireEndsweb.jpg

Running power wire through the firewall is demonstrated extremely well in the Acurazine link. Please visit that forum for the walk-through!

Running the power wire through the cabin was done on the drivers side. The only two areas to note where to run the wire are shown here:

Font area behind/under the fuse panel and behind the big factory bundle.

Wirebehindfactweb.jpg

And under and behind the B-pillar factory bundle.

WirebehindfactRearweb.jpg

I try to be as neat and tidy as possible. In these next two pics I will show how nice the Stinger kit is along with where to cut the power wire so that when you put the wire in the fuse holder you don't have any bright blue wire hanging out of the holder for a nice neat finish.

WireFuseHolderweb.jpg

My thumb is right where I cut the wire and then stripped back just enough to go all the way into the fuse holder.

WireCutweb.jpg

Next comes the subwoofer connection. I used a LOC for simplicity. Simply disconnect the plug to the subwoofer,

ReardeckSubweb.jpg

Use two male connectors and slide them into the female connectors of the factory connector to get your signal to the LOC. Here is a picture of one male connector inserted into the factory connector.

SubConnectweb.jpg

Next I started working on the subwoofer IB baffle. Cardboard and a contour gauge are necessities for this kind of work. Cardboard is easier to cut and a lot less expensive than wood. I used both cardboard and a contour gauge to get the shape of the baffle board.

IBpannelweb.jpg

The two open rectangles are where I will pass the wire through from one side to another and the dark line is where the baffle board is attached:

BottomPanelweb.jpg

I also drilled a hole (two holes are shown) on the bottom baffle board towards the front. There is an open hole in front of the factory grounding point shown in the Acurazine link. I put a bolt through that open hole and used it to go through the bottom board and screw it down. That way the enclosure/baffle will not move!

BottomPanel2web.jpg

Here is what the wall looked like before the wall was covered in black felt and the Obsidian Audio 12" subwoofer and Sundown Audio amp were installed.

Rearwallweb.jpg

I used spray adhesive to hold the felt in place and then stapled the felt to the underside and/or side of the baffle board to create a smooth look. Here are two pictures showing the final product.

One from inside the vehicle:

InstalledFrontweb.jpg

And one from the trunk side:

InstalledRearweb.jpg

*I am going to tidy up the visible red wire in a few days.*

The best thing about IB is that you don't absolutely have to seal up the entire trunk/baffle. This install yields a flat response to below 20 Hz yet there is a 1" gap at the top of the baffle to the bottom of the trunk lid.

And with all IB installs the customer has almost 100% of her trunk available to put things and nothing she puts inside will damage any of the equipment! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Probably close to 10:1. I don't know the exact measurements of that trunk but volume wise you could probably fit 3 mini-fridge's in it and those are close to 5 ft^3 each. If there is 12 ft^3 of trunk space it would be a 10:1 (trunk volume : Vas).

Probably close to 10:1. I don't know the exact measurements of that trunk but volume wise you could probably fit 3 mini-fridge's in it and those are close to 5 ft^3 each. If there is 12 ft^3 of trunk space it would be a 10:1 (trunk volume : Vas).
Sounds good to me. I miss trunks occasionally.

Best wishes!

Hearing how this one performs I'm kicking myself in the *** for ever installing a sealed box!
If you have a capable woofer, why restrict it with an enclosure, right? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Low end extension, saved space, a more "honest" representation...what's not to like!?

Bah, wish I could use my 15" in a IB in my impala... But the gf wont allow it since she drives the car most of the time. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Looks great though!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.