One more noob question for the car audio experts.

Participant count
  • Participant list

man_n_da_trunk
10+ year member

Im in the market for a new alternator. i have a 2004 mercury grand marquis. Im in need of a high output alternator. Ive already tried autozone etc... they only carry 200 amp alt. and i also tried mechman they only offer an 250 amp alt. heres my setup

I have my stock starter battery and 2 kinetik hc2400's in the trunk.

My problem is i dont know what size alternator i need. i know a 300 amp alt would be best but would my system be fine with just a 200 or 250 amp alt. and also where can i find one of these online!!!!!!! somebody please help me links to websites would be very helpful.

So many people go out and buy 300, 350, 400, and high amp alts and then call in talking about how their voltage is dropping at idle. For a daily driver vehicle running one alt you do not need to go with a 300+amp alternator. I will not even sell a 300amp alt to a daily driver vehicle. When you get into that high of an amperage alternator you are going to lose out at idle.

We cant post pics of our alts on the site, because other companies will come in and steal bracket designs. That is why most are not put up on sites for everyone to see or generic pictures are posted up.

I would go with a 250amp alt that does good at idle. With the batteries you have your voltage SHOULDN'T be dropping that much. You figure the kinetic 2400 is about the same physical size as our D3100 and our D3100s are good for 5000+ watts each.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.