How do i test a speaker with a DMM? (big newb)

F A T B O Y
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
MS
Okay i got this alpha that doesn't work...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif I mentioned it to Steve and he asked if i had a DMM. I told him yeah, but it'll be sometime tomorrow before he replies and i have all evening free time on my hands. How do i use a DMM to test my sub?

Also, how do i use the DMM to set my gains? I know theres a formula, just not sure what that formula is. Or how to get the #'s for the formula.

he was probably going to have you put the + probe of the DMM on the + terminal of the sub and the - probe of the DMM on the - terminal of the sub. set your DMM to measure ohms, and it should be = to the resistance (ohms) that your speaker is rated (or close to it).

to set your gains,

set your DMM to measure AC voltage (between 1.0-40.0v).

Set everything on your amp to 0 or as far down as they go.

disconnect your sub from the amp, play a 50 hz test tone recorded at 0 db.

test the voltage of the amp while this tone is playing (put the DMM probes in the speaker terminals)

You need the voltage to be = to or close to:

the ## of watts you want to put out DIVIDED by your sub's ohm load

Take that number and square root it.

This is the number you want your amp's output voltage to be at.

Once you have your gain set, play a test tone (recorded at 0db) of where you want your subsonic filter to be at. While playing, raise your subsonic filter until your amp's output voltage is affected (starts to lower).

To set your highpass, play the tone you want your highpass to be set at, and lower your highpass until the voltage is affected (lowers).

Okay i did what you said to the woofer in question. And the number went bizzerk. 190's and stuff. So then, (just for control, i guess) i took the working one and used the DMM. It did the same thing (sorta) it stayed around 1-4 sometimes jumping into 200+. Was i doing something wrong with the DMM? I set it to read ohms, it had like... 200/2000/20000. I set it to 200 (the lowest) a prodded away at my + and - terminals.

he was probably going to have you put the + probe of the DMM on the + terminal of the sub and the - probe of the DMM on the - terminal of the sub. set your DMM to measure ohms, and it should be = to the resistance (ohms) that your speaker is rated (or close to it).
to set your gains,

set your DMM to measure AC voltage (between 1.0-40.0v).

Set everything on your amp to 0 or as far down as they go.

disconnect your sub from the amp, play a 50 hz test tone recorded at 0 db.

test the voltage of the amp while this tone is playing (put the DMM probes in the speaker terminals)

You need the voltage to be = to or close to:

the ## of watts you want to put out DIVIDED by your sub's ohm load

Take that number and square root it.

This is the number you want your amp's output voltage to be at.

Once you have your gain set, play a test tone (recorded at 0db) of where you want your subsonic filter to be at. While playing, raise your subsonic filter until your amp's output voltage is affected (starts to lower).

To set your highpass, play the tone you want your highpass to be set at, and lower your highpass until the voltage is affected (lowers).
that really helped alot. ive had this explained to me before but yours helped the most

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.