making box theft proof...

wp7456
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
orlando
I want to make my box theft proof without bolting it down to the frame of the car. I was thinking of buying a 1" board of MDF that takes up the entire trunk of my explorer, and bolting the box down to that. Good idea?

Also, when I go to screw/bolt it down, do I want to use screws or what... and how many? Whatever they are they will need to not be longer than my 1" board and the 3/4" mdf of the box.

Also just wondering where do most of you guys mount your amps... right now I just have mine sitting next to the box.

if you make a floor screw your box to it from inside the box. i made a 1/2" mdf floor so i had something solid to screw my amps down onto, plus i had a kinetik hidden under it

Floor1.jpg

trunk2.jpg

The way my box is set up you have to take the spare tire out to put it in and out. Also no way of taking the sub out or even the amp and batteries in the back. You would need a couple extra hands to get it out.

honestly nothing is theft proof because if they want it they will do what it takes to get it. I did an install in an explorer and I use torx screws on everything because it what we use at work. well when his car was broken into they couldnt unscrew the subs so they took a sledge to the box and busted it apart till they could get the subs out....

Unless they decide to pry gear out.

Which was exactly what punks did with my 12W6s. 1.5" baffle, long screws and a box that they couldn't physically remove (broke the lock on my hatch, and I guess couldn't get the back seat to fold down).

if they want it bad enough they will just steal the whole vehicle...take their time stripping it and then torch it on some back abandoned road where the burnt remains of the vehicle can be found days later //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

if they want it bad enough they will just steal the whole vehicle...take their time stripping it and then torch it on some back abandoned road where the burnt remains of the vehicle can be found days later //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
One reason why I have GPS tracking, hidden install with battery backup.

in order to make a screw theft proof, use phillips heads, then like 1/4 drill bit and drill out the heads. There will be nothing for the screw driver to get.

Down side is if you want to remove it, you will have to drill all of them out then use vise grips to get the shank out.

Maybe a few drilled screws here and there. alot of skanks carry little security bits with them. you can buy a kit at sears with like 20 of the most common for $10 bucks.

http://www.hobbytool.com/SecurityBits.html

if carpeted...use liquid nails to affix some razor blades pointing down at an angle under the carpet with just the ends sticking out. it works.*

*poster is not responsible for harm, bodily or otherwise, that may occur.

yes that is the truth. they could not get my brothers rims off his car because the locks so they took the whole car was found in an alley in Detroit with 3 rims gone and the whole interior stripped.

honestly nothing is theft proof because if they want it they will do what it takes to get it. I did an install in an explorer and I use torx screws on everything because it what we use at work. well when his car was broken into they couldnt unscrew the subs so they took a sledge to the box and busted it apart till they could get the subs out....
Um that Explorer must have been in the middle of nowwhere. How could someone not notice/hear a sledge hammer taken to a box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif:confused://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.