NitroDuck

What are the advantages of Bandpass?

No im not thinking of building/buying one, but i notice nobody likes em. Whats wrong with them? At one time they seemed like they were the way to go.

91 Dodge Stealth R/T

System

Pioneer DEH-P750MP 6v HU

TS-A640R front 6 1/2

TS-A940R rear 6 x 9

2 Onyx LSM.V2 15s :scared:

Optima Red Top

JBL bp1200.1

2 cu. ft. fiberglass box (4cube glassed boxed being made for 15's)

Pros:

Easy to direct output.

Higher power handling.

Keeps speaker free from debris.

Proper design leads to great low frequency extension.

Cons:

Usually a large enclosure.

Hides distortion so you can't detect possible damage to your driver.

Overall, very hard on the driver.

Very hard to build, and design.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab

Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid

Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14

I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

Originally posted by Jmac

Higher power handling ?

It's just what I've heard - I don't know if it is a myth or not.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid

Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14

I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

the bottom line is this: unless you plan to build your own bandpass box and put a ton of hours of design and work into it, do not get one. you especially dont want a pre-fab bandpass box.

-nate

Well when I first got into car audio, I got a pre fabbed bandpass for my bazooka subs. (They weren't all that bad actually, bazooka only has a bad rep cause of the tube subs, other than that, bazooka is pretty good) I can tell you, only get a bandpass if you want pure SPL. It ruins any kind of SQ (unless built directly for that sub) but makes almost any kind of driver really loud.

4th order bandpass has a good transient response, power handling, and a lower cutoff frequency.

A 6th order bandpass has very nice power handling within its passband, but outside of the passband it's power handling is poor- the driver relies on its suspension under the passband (just like ported)...not too good of a transient response as well...

randysavagenm6.jpg

ctsig.jpg

Originally posted by snova031

4th order bandpass has a good transient response, power handling, and a lower cutoff frequency.

A 6th order bandpass has very nice power handling within its passband, but outside of the passband it's power handling is poor- the driver relies on its suspension under the passband (just like ported)...not too good of a transient response as well...

Thanks for all the responses.

Do you know a web site where i can get instructions on how to construct a proper bandpass enclosure. Im just curious.

91 Dodge Stealth R/T

System

Pioneer DEH-P750MP 6v HU

TS-A640R front 6 1/2

TS-A940R rear 6 x 9

2 Onyx LSM.V2 15s :scared:

Optima Red Top

JBL bp1200.1

2 cu. ft. fiberglass box (4cube glassed boxed being made for 15's)

Originally posted by snova031

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/bnd/4thord1.htm

Enjoy :)

And good luck...if you do decide to build one, let us know how it turns out.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now