Cheap DD Replicas

sundownz
Pro Seller

Supporting Vendor
North Carolina
http://www.pnrcaraudio.com/images/aKO15-1507A.jpg

Name is "Konaki" and they are essentially a DD 9500 copy as far as parameters and motor design.

I just measured the T/S on the 15" D1 Konaki here today... a customer of mine just got four of them and pulled 147.8 dB in a *terrible* box for the meter that he threw together and one SAZ-3000D on stock Ford Expedition electrical. I'm going to help him make a better box and he will be picking up a second amp... so it should do well by then. But, that is not the point of the post.

Anyhow:

Re = 1.88 ohms

Fs = 41.42 Hz

Qes = 0.446

Qms = 9.35

Qts = 0.425

Le = 2.80 mH

VAS = 26.6 L

BL = 21.33 N/A

Cms = 35.5 um/N

Mms = 414 grams

So... this is a copper coil just like DD, uses the DD G basket, judging by Mms and visual inspection the coil is the exact height as a DD.

The BL^2 / RE is higher than the DD 9510E that I measured -- 198 for the DD and 242 for this woofer.

The Cms is actually lower than the DD 9510E that I measured, quite a LOT stiffer. This design uses a spider spacer rather than just stacking them up.

The pole has the same cross-drills as the DD 9500 motor... I can't cut it down to see if it has the cooling channels in the pole. It does NOT have the top plate channels, though... but otherwise, so far, appears to be a DD 9500 replica done fairly well.

The bad... build quality isn't up to DD standards. He popped off the spider landings and had to glue them back down. The good... would probably work quite well after you broke the spider landing off the first time and re-glued it with epoxy (which he did and they are fine now).

I think they literally sent a 9500 to China and said "copy this speaker"

----

... and no, I'm not suggesting you sell your DDs and buy these. I just found it pretty interesting that this company just plain copied DD so blatantly. Thought I'd share.

Discovered some more QC issues with another one, the bottom spider broke @ the triple joint. It still plays as the top spider is still attached but does make a nasty popping noise at high excursion.

Consider these poorly assembled DDs *laughs*

They look tight as hell. look wise I like em better then the 9500 looks. But perfomance wise, wow they seem pretty loud. Sounds like somthing great to burp that will get just as loud but it'll cost 1/2 as much to replace if blown:)

how does it spec to the china-parted AQ HD3?
No idea //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It is quite impressive for the cost if the spider glue joints were stronger. Only one has had a triple joint problem for him and he beats the poo out of them under tuning. This could be fixed if you popped off the spider spacer and used a "mixing tube" style epoxy dispenser to get in there.

One other had the spider landing pop off which is an extremely easy fix... looks like they just didn't sand the basket enough.

Other than glue QC it's good looking / performing woofer in the "big ol SPL sub" category.

---

Heck... you could drop-in a DD 9500G recone and have yourself a nice speaker too.

More information on the box he used... I ran the numbers and the **** thing is tuned to 28 Hz. So, I'm surprised it did that well on the meter... and his port area is only around 50 in^3 total as well for all four common chamber... single layer baffle.

jeez, might pull a 150 with a cheapies eh?
Easily... he peaked @ 42 Hz... his box is terrible for these subs... it's big, low port area, tuned WAY under the Fs of the speaker. I want to see him get a ~155 out of the car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.