Your sub choice

93F250

Oregon
Just built a new work truck and now i need to get the stereo figured out.

I need sub woofer recommendations and I'm hoping to stay under $300 for one 12"; I will get an amp and build a box for the sub I end up with.

I listen to mostly rock and country but my girl likes hip hop and such, I'm looking for clean and loud.

Little more info:

It's a single cab 84 scottsdale with a decent head unit, one 4" speaker in each door, and one 6x9 in each rear corner.

I have room between the new bucket seats to do one 12" sub, about a foot and a half box can fit in there. I have a box about that size for initial mock up and use but will be building one specific to the sub I end up with.

I know the usual big name best buy subs aren't gonna be what I'm looking for but I really don't know much about what brands I should be looking at, Any help is much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We don't really have enough I found to give you great recommendation. I'm sure you want it to be loud, but what amp do you plan on running?

Going from great sounding country to great sound hip hop is a stretch. Personally I like to tune my stuff low in Ported boxes and it usually sounds good all around. I would lean towards the hip hop side since hip hop has more bass naturally which will allow you to get the most from your bandwidth. Country will do good too.

Just built a new work truck and now i need to get the stereo figured out.I need sub woofer recommendations and I'm hoping to stay under $300 for one 12"; I will get an amp and build a box for the sub I end up with.

I listen to mostly rock and country but my girl likes hip hop and such, I'm looking for clean and loud.

Little more info:

It's a single cab 84 scottsdale with a decent head unit, one 4" speaker in each door, and one 6x9 in each rear corner.

I have room between the new bucket seats to do one 12" sub, about a foot and a half box can fit in there. I have a box about that size for initial mock up and use but will be building one specific to the sub I end up with.

I know the usual big name best buy subs aren't gonna be what I'm looking for but I really don't know much about what brands I should be looking at, Any help is much appreciated.

also need to know how much power u will have or are u gonna buy amp based on sub u get? depends on how much airspace u will have and if u go sealed or ported but look at sundown sa (very popular) fi alpha made in usa $149 or fi ssd $259 very nice.. but again really depends on box size and type..

More importantly, where do you plan on mounting the amp? Sounds like your limited on space.
So the most important question is where he will mount the amp lol. That's not a problem in today's world with the tiny footprint Chinese and Brazilian amps.

I can build whatever box is best for the sub but The box can't need to be bigger than about 1.5 feet on any surface

I will purchase an amp specifically for the sub I get. And as for mounting it, I was planning on it being in the rear cab itself behind the seat under the window. Should be enough air flow?

We don't really have enough I found to give you great recommendation. I'm sure you want it to be loud, but what amp do you plan on running?
Going from great sounding country to great sound hip hop is a stretch. Personally I like to tune my stuff low in Ported boxes and it usually sounds good all around. I would lean towards the hip hop side since hip hop has more bass naturally which will allow you to get the most from your bandwidth. Country will do good too.
It will see mostly country and hard rock/alternative.
I'm wanting to buy an amp based on the sub purchase

also need to know how much power u will have or are u gonna buy amp based on sub u get? depends on how much airspace u will have and if u go sealed or ported but look at sundown sa (very popular) fi alpha made in usa $149 or fi ssd $259 very nice.. but again really depends on box size and type..
I was planning on a ported box.
Sundown is the one I keep seeing pop up but I wasn't sure if that was the best in that range or if i could get better still. I'll look into the other ones as well, thank you

I would lean towards a nice sealed set up for that genre probably. Image dynamics idq, dayton ho, jl w3
The fi's look nice but I think for what I want I'm down to image dynamics and Dayton. After a bit of research I can't see the extra $80 in the Id subs So I think it's Dayton for me, especially since they can take a smaller box. Thanks for the help!

So the most important question is where he will mount the amp lol. That's not a problem in today's world with the tiny footprint Chinese and Brazilian amps.
Is it his build or yours? Let him answer. Which he already did.

Amp placement definitely seems like one of the main concerns of this thread. Great point
This is a car audio forum...not let's attack a members' reply because you felt the need to say something which I asked BECAUSE.....maybe he didn't think of it. I dunno. Didn't say and I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Some people overlook it. Usually a hey Boomin, good point or thanks for the heads up would have been much better. But because I asked, wanted to help him out when I could. Any amp mounting is important because of air circulation around it which helps it keep it cool instead of in a tight space where no air can get around will heat up much faster and thus will/may shut down.

So what do you guys think is a good place to mount the amp? I was figuring on the back wall of the cab behind the passenger seat. Need to mount 2 of them, one for the speakers and one for the sub

So what do you guys think is a good place to mount the amp? I was figuring on the back wall of the cab behind the passenger seat. Need to mount 2 of them, one for the speakers and one for the sub
my friend mounted his giant cab amp to back wall of his truck so can be done fs if u don't mind holes in truck..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.