Yet another Question about Subwoofer positioning

Participant count
  • Participant list

joshs9

Canada
First off, I've spent a lot of time looking through forums, but this is my first post. Wish me luck.

I've done a fair amount of researching and playing around with the positioning of my subs in the trunk in my car, and even a bit with them in the cabin as well. From what I've found, the loudest seems to be very back facing the trunk, facing semi-upwards.

My question is, would it likely be louder to build the subs and the box into the rear deck, sealed off from the trunk facing upwards towards the window? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews of this idea. I'd test it out, but for obvious reasons it's a little hard to do.

Thanks

First off, I've spent a lot of time looking through forums, but this is my first post. Wish me luck.
I've done a fair amount of researching and playing around with the positioning of my subs in the trunk in my car, and even a bit with them in the cabin as well. From what I've found, the loudest seems to be very back facing the trunk, facing semi-upwards.

My question is, would it likely be louder to build the subs and the box into the rear deck, sealed off from the trunk facing upwards towards the window? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews of this idea. I'd test it out, but for obvious reasons it's a little hard to do.

Thanks

Is your current box sealed or ported? If it's sealed, yes it would be louder if you built the subs into the rear deck directing to the window but that takes a lot of work. Trunk cars are hard to get loud without doing a lot of modifications to it. What subs and amp are you running right now? How big is your box?

Right now i'm running 2 Type R 12's on a hifonics 2400.1, but at 2 ohms and 1600W, and the box is ported. Its only 1.11 cubes per sub, which I know i quite a bit too small but i've got plans to upgrade it fairly soon. I was curious about this for later on down the road.

Also, why would it only be louder if it's sealed?

Right now i'm running 2 Type R 12's on a hifonics 2400.1, but at 2 ohms and 1600W, and the box is ported. Its only 1.11 cubes per sub, which I know i quite a bit too small but i've got plans to upgrade it fairly soon. I was curious about this for later on down the road.
Also, why would it only be louder if it's sealed?
I meant to say if it's sealed then putting it in your rear deck would be louder but not worth the trouble.. If it's ported then it should be louder regardless. Yea your box is way too small. 1.11 per would be suited for a sealed box size, not ported. Do you know what it's tuned to also? What ohms is your subs? Dual 2 ohms? I think you would benefit from getting a bigger amp. That hifonics amp might be doing less than 1600w nominal and your type R's could easily take more. What's your current electrical like? do the big 3 yet? extra batteries? h/o alternator? What size wiring? Did you put sound deadening in your trunk lid? everything matters to get louder. If you're planning to get a new box built, then try to make it atleast 2.0 cubes per sub if you can. Get a pro to build it, don't buy prefab.

From what I can tell by the sound it seems to be tuned around the low 40's. There dual 2 ohms wired down to 2 ohms right now. yes I agree that the subs could take lots more power, but i've been trying to avoid needing to do an electrical upgrades, and no I have not done the big 3 yet either, and 4 gauge. I'm planning on deadening the trunk lid in the near future as well, with the subs pointed upwards I get some nasty rattles.

Would there really be a noticeable difference in sound quality at all by getting a bigger amp? From what I can tell so far, the extra watts I could add on wouldn't be worth the return in db's.

Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.