Yet Another HU thread - preamp only, best SQ only factor

yonk

Wish SACD would become real .. but will anyone produce one that's preamp only?

The trend is to add GPS, DVD and lots of other glitz instead of just pure SQ.

Have demoed a DEX-P9 - not bad - if you can find one.

The Nak seem to be okay, but overpriced.

The Clarion DRZ9255 seems to be well thought of, even though their mass-market stuff is crap.

The McIntosh is nice, but no built-in subwoofer control and no fast forward - hmmm.

Everthing else I've seen mentioned is OOP and/or not pre-amp only ..

Recos? Or just wait and see if SACD becomes real?

cheers,

Yonk

-------------------------------------------------------

Honda Element with:

Butler Tube Driver

Dynaudio Drivers

Original Alpine 7909 (These can be modded in TX with premium caps and output stage parts to further SQ)

30th Anniversary 7909

Alpine CDA-7990, CDA-7998 or the CDA-7969, CDA-7949 (coupled with a PRA-H400)

Are also good SQ choices, isn't there a nice Panasonic unit that has a hybrid tube output as well.

What about the top of the line Denon unit I forget the model number.

Mod a home unit to work in the car and you can have SACD!

what do you mean by this? i'm thinkin of a clarion max675vd ... what do you know at reviews aren't telling:confused:
The sound quality was okay, but the mechanicals were *terrible* - the couple that I (and friends) owned literally fell apart over time. It's my main reticence in even considering another Clarion.

- Yonk

Wish SACD would become real .. but will anyone produce one that's preamp only?The trend is to add GPS, DVD and lots of other glitz instead of just pure SQ.

Have demoed a DEX-P9 - not bad - if you can find one.

The Nak seem to be okay, but overpriced.

The Clarion DRZ9255 seems to be well thought of, even though their mass-market stuff is crap.

The McIntosh is nice, but no built-in subwoofer control and no fast forward - hmmm.

Everthing else I've seen mentioned is OOP and/or not pre-amp only ..

Recos? Or just wait and see if SACD becomes real?

cheers,

Yonk

-------------------------------------------------------

Honda Element with:

Butler Tube Driver

Dynaudio Drivers
I hear you.. I agree with the limited choices... The head units are all bling bling and the latest and greatest.. I just want an excellent music-format (cd, etc) player that has phenominal dac's, an excellent preamp (only), and all audiophile grade overbuilt internals. Since there's only 1% of 1% of the buyers that are into this level of head unit, or could afford it, there's not much left.

In my opinion, the DRZ9255 is the ONLY current-production SQ head unit on the market that's even reasonably priced.. The p9 is about the only other option.. If you're willing to sacrifice a bit of build/design quality for budget, the premier 880 is popular around here (an older premier unit that's hung on because it had the "right" DA converters, x-over and time alignment features). The current Eclipse 7100 looks promising, but can't speak for construction. The 9255 strikes me as the last of a breed. The Krell of head units. Old school build, no flash, no silly graphics, just excellent dac's and some modern time-alignment and x-overs built-in.. If it did all the newer formats plus CD, I would look no further.

Unfortunately, Alpine saves it's highest end HU for an All in one that's $3G.

Vent here: And why can't the aftermarket HU's just simply operate with clean clear buttons like a normal freakin' stereo.. Why all the tiny buttons with proprietary anachronyms that require a freakin' manual. That's another thing about the 9255.. The design attempts to at least try to be normal, like an OEM.

Look into some of the older Alpines. 7949 7909 etc. They make incredible SQ decks that originally ran for about 1K now you can get them off ebay for around 300 or so. They are preamp only and are very clean. A few even have optical out which is ideal if you are going to be using a EQ. Minimize chance for noise especially if you put the EQ right next to the amps.

No current models.. I don't think they've made a head unit in years.. Ebay is pretty much it.. Finding a new on in the box is becoming increasingly rare. You'll see some denon decks rebadged as Rockford Fosgates.. I think they're commonly referred to as Den-fords.

Closest thing to those decks would be maybe the Nak 700II which is attrociously expensive (not really sanctioned to be sold in the US.. just gray market through some dealers), or maybe the Mac 406. I think there were some ties between Denon, Mac and Clarion but I don't know any specifics. Can't speak for the Nak CD500 but might still be a promising current alternative to the older denons.

For the money the denons go for new (with NO modern features like built in crossovers or time alignment, the DRZ9255 is the better value.. Still I'd bet the same SQ.. Good dac's, copper chassis, hi-fi style rotary encoder, etc. Only the clarion and the mac are actually current models that can be seen on the mfr. websites.

Nice thing about all those decks.. The simple "normal" non-bling bling front panel, made of sure enough metal, without the crapola graphics and stupid styling that makes most decks look just out of place in any car.

The P9 is pretty much all business too. And is very feature packed. No mp3s, no ipods, just high quality CD playback with burr-brown dacs. If you use the processor with it you'll have all the adjustability you'll ever need. 10 times the processing power of the 9255.

Of course, I'm a little partial to the P9 being an owner of one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.