Wow, SQ competition last weekend...help!

I wa on DIYMA and it seems to be a kewl site but not really what im looking for. I thought I could come here for help...this is suppossed to be "the site for car audio"...why are there a bunch of pricks here if so?
Because you're acting like a ******* kid in a candy store, too much money and no clue what to eat first.

You need to research first. Understand how/why you hear the things you do. Understand why a car is a very difficult environment to accurately reproduce sound in. Just grasp a basic concept of music reproduction and how you can apply that to a car stereo install.

start with these..google...

alpine f1 (the best if you got $$$)

seas lotus,morel,rainbow,hertz, for speakers

read up on active vs passive systems

processors..alpine h-900,h-9990.. zapco ..

if your in fresno you may want to search simplicityinsound he does very nice installs..hes in the south bay..he will sell and install what your looking for...

one stop shop kind of...his name is bing...

good luck...

What you need to understand is you cannot just rush into this.

You need to do about 1 year min. of research and learn. Listen to many different brands first hand, develope a plan and then spend a lot of time learning the comp. rules. Decide who you are going to have do the install speak with them. After all that is done then you can actually start to spend money and purhcase equipment.

If you want a turn key SQ comp. car two places come to mind. Advantage Audio Norman, OK or Perfomance Audio Tyler, TX. Know get to driving.

BTW-Plan to be without your car for 6 months to as long as 2 years to complete a comp. level build.

Other than what I have stated it all about research and learning which takes time.

I know you probably won't listen so charge away its your money.

Get over it.
meh, I'd rather not be associated with the elitist attitude of the SQ enthusiasts on here. I likely will have nice set of comps running active in my next build though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Keep It Simple Stupid is what I recommend and go from there. Speaker locations would be the first thing to learn about. 2 way up front some good subs, decent amps, solid head unit and a good eq/dsp unit. A simple kick panel install with some good components can be alpine X to kicker rs and qs to ID to hertz or Hybrids. Hell you can throw Memphis and JL into the mix..why? They have all won multiple world titles same with Focal.Keep it simple to LEARN how to tune and learn tendencies of your car. If you are going to a shop that builds real SQ systems they would and should have a set up to build off of rather than throwing something together and calling it world class. Eventually you may want to move up to a 3 way set up up front and the dealer/installer should plan accordingly.

Not alll of us are elitist. 99% of them are not. Its just the few bad apples that give everyone that stereotype.

I however do SPL also and enjoy that as well. Just not loud enough yet to get seriouse about competing all the time yet but I will get there eventually.

SQ is fun just like SPL both have there bad apples but for the most part its like a big family.

Most just do not understand SPL or how it could fun. There are some big name guys from SPL coming to SQ and have been very successful and been mopping up.

I'm not a SPL person per se, I just like everything loud as fawk, and certain aspects of SQ fascinate me and it has my interest, but some of the SQueers on here just straight up blast people who like it loud.

I'm not a SPL person per se, I just like everything loud as fawk, and certain aspects of SQ fascinate me and it has my interest, but some of the SQueers on here just straight up blast people who like it loud.
Does that hurt your feelings?

THE most important part of an SQ system will be the speakers and their placement. No amount of tuning can completely overcome poor speaker placement. First you have to decide what type of sound you like - smooth, detailed, edgy, in your face, accurate, etc .. Then pick your mid/tweets based on that. Try and do speaker placements that give you the best imaging and staging for your car, if not you will have to choose when tuning between tonal accuracy and imaging/staging. Then choose a processor that has the crossover, EQ and time alignment abilities you need. The rest will be all downhill.

You don't HAVE to spend a lot of money but $2-3k would be a good starting point, you don't have to have the best stuff just don't buy flea market junk.

First off, i'd say start off with a lot of Second Skin Deadener(or dynamat xtreme etc) and deaden as much of the vehicle as possible. Then next step go over to DIYMA forum, they are SQ oriented and you don't have to deal with a lot of the Adolescent B.S. that you have to deal with when posting a question here, you get assistance and suggestions based on past and current experiences with SQ setups. Then you may want to see if you can find anyone locally who may have some equipment your considering purchasing and hear what they sound like first hand. There are lots of great SQ products out there but a good rule of thumb is install is 90% of the equation

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.