Would you recommend upgrading the factory speakers?

Chris_A
10+ year member

Hello,

I am looking into getting a new head unit and a sub. I am not sure if i need to upgrade the speakers in my car to make it sound better. For the headunit, im looking into getting a ddx-418 which puts out 22 watts per speaker which i know isnt that much. Im also looking into 2 MTX jackhammer jh5512-04, 12 inch 4 ohm subs at 400 watts rms each with a 1000 watt amp. My question is do i need to upgrade the speakers? Also, if i do, would i need an amp for the speakers as well because the head unit only puts out 22 watts per speaker? Thanks

that would depend on your budget and what you are attempting to accomplish and most of all personal preference but most people on here are going to tell you to upgrade them. if not immediately then definitely eventually.

personally i would install what you have and then see where you are lacking after using it for a couple weeks or months. that way you can decide if you FEEL its needed and you can choose speakers based on what sound you feel like you are missing.

that would depend on your budget and what you are attempting to accomplish and most of all personal preference but most people on here are going to tell you to upgrade them. if not immediately then definitely eventually.

personally i would install what you have and then see where you are lacking after using it for a couple weeks or months. that way you can decide if you FEEL its needed and you can choose speakers based on what sound you feel like you are missing.

ok thanks for the advice neogen. If i buy the headunit and install it along with the sub and amp, do you think i will blow the speakers? I know 22 watts is not that much but im not sure what they are rated for.

ok thanks for the advice neogen. If i buy the headunit and install it along with the sub and amp, do you think i will blow the speakers? I know 22 watts is not that much but im not sure what they are rated for.
as long as yout h/u isn't clipping they should be fine. if you can smell your speakers turn it down or time to upgrade

as long as yout h/u isn't clipping they should be fine. if you can smell your speakers turn it down or time to upgrade
If you can smell your speakers it's already too late.

Your HU does not put out 22w a channel...it's actually nowhere near that. Try 5w.

Manufacturers come up with those numbers by clipping the tiny IC into a coma and only driving 1 channel. One sleazy thing Kenwood used to do is claim their HU's had '4v pre outs' (or something like that) when in fact you'd have to add the voltages coming from each output to reach that number. Do not believe any number you read in this industry. Even the CEA rated stuff is a farce.

The best thing you, and everyone else, should do is use your ears. If you like it, you're done. No need to go overboard and collect a bunch of stuff to only find that it's lacking or you're not really happy with it despite doing everything you think is right. Your ears will never lie; the marketing departments of car audio vendors will. (and do)

Some newer cars have passable front speakers, or at least something that a $100 component set will not always improve upon. If you decide to get speakers, definitely run better power to them than 22watts. Otherwise, you're not taking advantage of their capabilities. Should you actually get them? This depends on your goals and budget. In 99% the sound quality will not be that great if you run 500watts to each subwoofer but only 22 to your front speakers. I'd throw a set of speakers like Massive Audio CK X speaker in front powered by something like a new PPI P900.4 and P600.2. They're known to have the bass and headroom for getting loud to keep up with a loud subwoofer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.