Would this blow up my sub or amp?

swtguy
10+ year member

tx
Say I have a sub that is wired to 2ohms and i hook it up to a amp that is only rated at 4ohm stable when bridged. What will be the worst that will happen? I'mt hinking a fuse would blow before the amp or sub but would like to know b4 i try. Amp is kenwood kac7201 if that helps... thanks.

Hmm, you could blow your amp, your sub, or a fuse. Im not sure about the 7201 but i know the 6201 doesn't, which means that the only protection you would have is thermal and ground protection. And running below the rated ohms causes your amp to heat up REALLY quick like and fry some of the components in the amp.

If the amp is good and well designed, it will just go into shutdown mode when a low impedance load is connected.

Rule - you can always use higher impedance (up to a point) and suffer power loss but you need to be careful going below stated impedance specs - especially with bridging.

if it has protection, then it will go into protection. but it's not really a good thing. u could still mess up the amp.

some amps can actually go into lower impedances but they are not recommended.

however, even w that, i 'd prob keep it runnin at a stable impedance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.