Would there be a significant difference upgrading these speakers

Participant count
  • Participants list

Eldoggo

CarAudio.com Recruit
Canada
My dad has an 08' F150. He has the premium speaker package. I heard them today, and they're okay, but could be better. I'm thinking of getting him new speakers for Christmas. Now, would there be an improvement with new speakers, or would I need to put an amp in for a difference? Are the premium audio speakers good as is? Thanks!

imo not worth it......most of the time it sounds worse....factory speakers are spec'd to work optimally with factory amp/processor.....unless you do careful research and find speakers that are gonna match/spec with each other and factory amp/processor and optimally located, your more than likely gonna have negative results....been there done that

Last edited:
but if the condition of the speakers are crap, (paper cones dont last too long)...then you will see an improvement upgrading, choose your replacements wisely

My dad has an 08' F150. He has the premium speaker package. I heard them today, and they're okay, but could be better. I'm thinking of getting him new speakers for Christmas. Now, would there be an improvement with new speakers, or would I need to put an amp in for a difference? Are the premium audio speakers good as is? Thanks!
You are looking at the wrong thing to upgrade. Upgrade the head unit and amp and the speakers turn to a different monster with a proper signal from a high quality dac along with tuning capabilities.

There's an extremely high probability of your speaker upgrade sounding like complete ass because you dont just slap on new speakers and call it good. To do aftermarket speakers, you need good signal, good amplification, good acoustical treatments(turning your door into a proper speaker enclosure) and good tuning which your stock head unit will fk everything up because it has a shitty signal and next to nothing in terms of audio tuning.

You are looking at the wrong thing to upgrade. Upgrade the head unit and amp and the speakers turn to a different monster with a proper signal from a high quality dac along with tuning capabilities.

There's an extremely high probability of your speaker upgrade sounding like complete ass because you dont just slap on new speakers and call it good. To do aftermarket speakers, you need good signal, good amplification, good acoustical treatments(turning your door into a proper speaker enclosure) and good tuning which your stock head unit will fk everything up because it has a shitty signal and next to nothing in terms of audio tuning.
Okay, he has a solid aftermarket head unit, can't remember which one, but it's a solid choice. I may just put a new amp in for his Xmas gift. Thanks!

If he has stock speakers then that is a no go. You will need to replace the speakers as well. That would be a 6x8 in those along with any tweeters it may have in the premium package. Best way to find out is to head to sonicelectronix.com or crutchfield. Both will give you the necessary adapters if you buy from them. Then what I would do is buy some stinger 9 wire, run it to the wiring harness which is the way I did my Explorer so you are not running new wires to the doors & tweeters. Plus tbh the stock wiring can handle a lot more then they used to.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.